Thursday 17 July 2008

Writing

Writing, writing.

Do it as you go along! Tis the only thing I can say. I asked around a bit today because I am now on chapter #2 and loooking to have another down for when I go away. My Sup is really pleased with this and says I will be too when I come back from fieldwork and start 'writing up' for real. But then today I thought - is this actually for good, or am I just wasting time writing what will be changed so much later anyway? Will the fieldwork mean everything I am thinking will be erased?

I think it is a good thing. I am writing all my ideas down for these discrete segments of the PhD. I am not doing it in a linear sense and have little interest in writing a lit review yet - I will plan it and am saving references as I go along, so when I come to do it I have a head start. But other than that, the intro and lit review must wait because these would change radically. I am working on primary analysis chapters really. Then I will have my methodology written before I go out. This will be for my own personal reference and also, if I know it - why not write it down? Why wait until next year when I am all fuzzy and can't remember the key terms/jargon?

I could never wait until next year to start writing. Where would you start?! How daunting. Much better to have some chapters to mess around with - even if at the end of the day they only serve as a template any more - much MUCH better than a gazillion notes and blank piece of paper. And also, after your first one it does seem to get easier.

Yep, writing as you go along is the best bet.

x J

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think its a great idea to write your ideas as they come to you. You will be glad later that you have something to start from.

I wrestling with my chapter 2 these days.

You can do it!

Numpty said...

Hi Jerry'sdaughter, thanks for your comment!

I am glad you agree. I did wonder if it was just going to be nonsense as everyone talks about 'writing up', as if it is an activity discrete from other years which are spent taking notes and doing research. But I know the information now so best to write it and analyse it now, then move on to the next bit...

Good luck with your chapter 2!!

We can all do it...

x J

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I'm actually writing from Montreal, Quebec, Canada. I'm just beginning my PhD and already dreading all of the writing involved. I love learning and being apart of the PhD program, however I become a stress-case every time I have to sit and write a paper. So I procrastinate and this only makes things worse. Just wanted to vent and came across your blog. So thanks for giving me a place to do so!
B

Numpty said...

Hello B! If you ever need a place that is sure to make you feel more competent and secure than at least one other PhD-er, then this is it!! Have you tried the link I have to the PhD forum? It is great for asking for advice and also finding like-minded, stressed-out peeps!! It's on the right-hand side somewhere...

Good luck with your PhD - if you are only at the start try not to stress out too much yet and take it pretty easy. Lots of reading and a bit of writing will see you through until you find your feet. One thing I notice increasingly about us PhDers is that we are all too hard on ouselves and expect a LOT.

Again, good luck - and thanks for your comment! I am very glad to be of any help.

x J