Thursday 29 May 2008

Is there time for time-off with a PhD?

Yes! Hurray! I worked allllll year through my first MA, and then last year with my MRes/PhD I worked most evenings and every day. Then it got to June last year and I was reaching burnout. I didn't have the novelty factor of the MA, which sustained me along with the knowledge that it was only for one all-to-brief year (I loved it!) and it surprised me how unmotivated, intimidated and tearful I was. So I completely changed my outlook for writing the dissertation between June and September, I worked 9-5/10-6ish and never on weekends. It was great! I could look forwrd to having a drink on Friday night and got some structure. Telling myself 'no' when I had illicit inklings to fire up the computer on an evening meant I had more energy and commitment when I did work. Having said this though, when it is deadline time I work as much as needs be, but then at least I can sense a light at the end of the tunnel. Also, I don't take the 8 weeks holiday a year that is my quota from the ESRC. 8 weeks! I had two weeks off in September after completing the MRes (mistake, I was bored and depressed), three weeks off for a big overseas volunteering trip in Jan (bliss) and then this week off coming (yes, I did work through Christmas - deadline before Jan trip to meet!). Then I shall work through until I go away for fieldwork... I like my work though on the whole. As long as I have structured, proper time off I am fine. Brains need to chill so I tell myself! Also, holidays give perspective and a new objective eye that you just don't have when you are working 24/7. This is so important actually, I think I worte somewhere else that I was so unhappy with the chapter that I just handed in. Luckily for me they liked it so I don;t have to radically overhaul it like I thought I would. What I did learn though is that I really didn;t give myself time away from it before I handed it in! I just didn't realise that with some days off from the work I would be able to finally proof-read it objectively and gain lots from that... Oh well, onwards and upwards!

No comments: