Monday 2 June 2008

Things to remember when writing a chapter...

I am going through my transfer meeting chapter and trying to note down what I need to remember for next time... I thought I may as well put it here as anywhere! Re: when I am writing 'you', I mean 'me'; yes, I am talking to myself...

1) Give yourself LOTS of time and really try and stick to deadlines. Make sure that you finish the work at least five days before you want to hand it in, go away from it and have a break, then return to it fresh and objective. When reading through again keep an eye out for sentences that need more explanation, remember, I know this way way more than any reader and so some bits will need explaining!!

2) Say 'advocate a', not 'advocate for a'

3) Do not write 'evidence' as a verb. This is my literary tic, be aware! Also, do not write 'this is illustrative of', just write 'this illustrates'.

4) Writing is really hard and sometimes very slow.

5) When on a tricky bit don't leave it for another day. Stick with it - 'don't leave thoughts or data undigested'.

6) Have subheadings. Work these out early so you have a plan to go along with. Broad framework.

7) Get Sup to check it more!

8) Don't write 'this research argues that'. Research cannot argue. A chapter can though apparently.

9) Make sure you know your literature inside and OUT. If you have writers block or leave it for a week, re-read it. This will usually get your brain-motors running again. Yes, I know it is deathly dull.

10) Don't spend forever rejigging the intro! Do it in bullet-point form then leave it till the end.

That's it for now.

No comments: