Wednesday 28 May 2008

Writer's Block

Ahhh, writer's block. Something I thought actually only affected creative writers but actually I forgot how creative a PhD chapter needs to be. For about a month I would go into my room at half nine, only to leave at six having written nothing. While writing nothing I would spend the day flitting from facebook to the guardian website, picking up notes to skim over them again and just not be able to think. Or want to think. I thought I was just being lazy or procrastinating but actually someone told me it was probably writer's block. The strange thing about this phenomenon is that like depression or stress, you often only know you had it when the period is over. Diagnosing writer's block is pretty important. I think that a lot of stress in writing stems from certain assumptions that will lead to writer's block: that writing is easy, that writing needs to be perfect, that writing must produce a certain number of words, that words are evidence of a productive day - ergo, no words = slack day, and to write effectively you must sit in a dark hole, and write, write, write!

Writing is easy
Writing is easy for some people, impossible for others. Some people write fluently and too much and are happy to go back and edit later, others fuss over every word. Some edit as they go along, others go back after a large chunk has been completed. Recognising which you are and how you like to work is really important. People don't work the same way! I can write a thousand words in a day, words that are mostly nonsense but I like to externalise my thoughts as much as possible then re-jig them later. My friend however is a total super-brain and writes very, very slowly. Unlike me, her chapter forms itself in her head before it is translated to paper. Every word is thoughtful and each sentence is unlikely to need a whole of editing later... Different people, different approaches.

Writing needs to be perfect
Lets face it, most of us to have got to this stage are perfectionists. Writing can be agony if you think about every word and sentence and want it to be perfect. In fact, thinking of it this way will mean you don't want to write anything as it becomes such a big deal. Writing what I know at this stage tends to get some kind of fluency going. I was really trying to work through the chapter starting at the intro and ending at the conclusion, but really helpfully someone suggested that I break down my chapter into sections, take one and brainstorm words and ideas for it, then write it and put all the pieces back togther at the end. I took this advice and it helped me address my work in a new light. Although I must admit that I did end up going back and doing it in a linear fashion because it simply made more sense to me that way. At least I found that out though!

Writing must produce words
True in fact but not actually so simple I like to think. Writing comes from thought and without thought you have no words. I may write so little one day but think about it and realise I spent half of it reading about referencing. This is not words, but is work. These ins and outs are part of doing the PhD so I tell myself. It really annoys me that we have to pressure ourself so hard to produce in order to say we have worked.

Words are evidence of a productive day
Not true. Even if I did spend the day on facebook this is not necessarily 'procrastination'. I sense procrastination in myself when I have that horrible sick guilty feeling in my stomach. When I don't have this either I am just plain skiving or working, just not writing words. Thinking is essential to writing. No thoughts = shite writing. Brains need time to relax as well as work. It is always annoying though when I need it to work but it doesn't want to at all! I try not to worry about it too much, just get on the next day. Easier said than done though eh!

To write effectively you must write, write, write!
Nope nope. When faced with writer's block I find space is essential. I tend to run away and maybe if it's really bad I will shut the door for a whole day on my work. I often spend days mulling over what on earth is wrong and sit with a paper and pen and brainstorm words. With writer's block it is so hard not to sit in front of my computer willing words to create themselves! Mainly I find I am in a rut and need to get out of it.

Writer's block is a nightmare! But dealing with this is part of doing a PhD. So I think. Learning to overcome writer's block, and learning to understand patterns and habits as a writer are all part of it. I hope I find them out!

As always, comments and suggestion welcome - I would love to hear how others have overcome writer's block for next time!!

x J

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such great insight into your writing 'modes and moods' - and so helpful to those of us that suffer all sorts of guilt trips when the brain just stops wanting to write. Just had 3 days sans DH (sadly an unappreciative businessman) with huge hopes for finishing long outstanding MA work. Nada. Brain just said no ! I am a mature over-perfectionist working on a 'new' topic in South American culture and I feel the strain so much. You are now top of the list in my PHD procrastination blogs list for honesty and reality without pretension! Good luck for your future. JEM.

Numpty said...

Ah JEM, thank you soooo much for your lovely comment! I like hearing about other people's experiences and am glad that my own are remotely reassuring... I completely understand your frustration at being unable to work - especially when you have this 'perfect' window to do it but your brain won't comply... It drives me insane! Good luck with your work - the flow will return! x J