Friday 28 November 2008

Friday!! It's the weekend!

So today marks the end of my first week of work in India, and my first week of proper work since... hmmm... Dec 07. Hehe. Today thought I needed only go in for an hour and a half... though I wrote a story about lions! I was sent home in case the rain blocked us in... I was also told not to worry about coming in while the rains are as they are - hurray! There was no point today really either as the internet was down (because of the rain - the power was out in a lot of places too) so couldn't look up any of my animal fact to write about them.

I have thought more, and realised that with the rains, any kind of travel or move would be most unpleasant and also, pretty dangerous. I ahve also realsied that getting accommodation anywhere else in December is going to be pointless - it is high season in Indian terms, as families move around to be close to each other and there are lots of festivals. So I shall have to stay put anyway, regardles of my intentions to go down the coast and do interviews etc. Further down the coast has actually been evacuated so that would be no god at all! I would be the only person there! Silly colonial. This realisation has made me much more relaxed and stopped all worrying thoughts about going elsewhere immediately. I shall stay where we are for December, then when I get back from Goa on the 12th I shall think about shipping south for a bit.

In the meantime, I have some train tickets to try and buy tomorrow... The rains are so annoying because they make staying in really quite imperitive. No sightseeing can be done really. I suppose I should read some reports!! I have a *lot* of reports to get though. Hmmm....

x J

No comments: