Wednesday 5 October 2011

Reading

Arf I have done what I do *every* chapter or essay and it is very annoying.

each time, honestly for YEARS, I do all my research, get together all my sources and then think 'right!  let's get writing!'  Then I sit around for a few days sort of stuck and thinking am just procrastinating.  THEN finally I realise that I am not actually ready to write and, UG UG UG, I have to re-read all my sources in one fell swoop to get all the info into my brain ready to regugitate it.  And I forget every time because I hate doing it and secretly just hope I could do the reading once, do a plan and then write it out like a genius memory person.  I give myself too much credit and forget (haha the irony) that I have a terible memory and have to work twice as hard as anyone else.  SO I am not writing today, I am re-reading (quickly, but thoroughly) all my sources relevant to this chapter and then will write it out.

The thing is that i cannot leave any time between reading and writing.  So if I spent today and tomorrow reading, as I probably will, I must, must must start writing tomorrow night (uh oh can't as DB has footie all night) or Friday night.  As soon as I can basically or the info will be forgotton and I shall have to do it ALLLLLL again.  No please, no.

This is the kind of thing that is hard with a baby.  They just totally take up your time even if you are committed to the nth degree ;0) 

So better not waste time.  Actually, would be best to read as much as I can today wouldn't it, to start writing tomorrow afternoon hopefully.  I can't rush it though, I must remember that this reading bit is actually very important cause once it is done I write pretty quickly. 

I hate being thorough.

x J

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I know exactly how you feel with the reading/writing dilemma cos I'm the same! What I've started doing and what seems to work for me is everytime I read a good quote or statement when re-reading an article I type it into a blank Word document as I go along. Also at the end of an article I might jot down one sentence to summarise the main point of what was argued. By the time I've re-read all my articles around a topic area I've got a list of relevant statements/quotes/points together which I then rejig in some logical order (which might already suggest a suitable sub-heading or two) and which provides me with a sort of skeleton for my text. Then I try to write around and expand what I've got into paragraphs and individual little sections. Doing it this way means I don't need to rely on remembering what each author said when it comes to the writing bit. Worth a try? Bx

Numpty said...

Aw thanks B!

Several people have tried to cure me of my long-winded reading-to-writing process to no avail ;0) I fear I am stuck. The problem is a basic lack of intelligence - I need to read and re-read (and write and re-write notes) to a) remember any of the sources that exist as my short term memory is so poor I can see an author and not realise I read them last week; b) remember what said author said; and c) work out how the arguments of said authors all come together in my particular thesis. I am so dumb it takes aaages for this to all come together! I tried writing the key bits onto a word doc and, ahem, forgot I was doing so and just went back to handwriting out notes on each article/book ;0) I need to handwrite to consolidate ideas, I am a very visual learner hehe. Anywho, thanks, and I plod on!

x J