Monday 12 January 2009

Tanned, toxic and ready for action!!

I had a whole week off! A WHOLE week! I looked at the internet once! I seriously cannot remember the last time I did that.

I had the most fabulous holiday, with an amazing amount of fantastic sunshine, warm ocean, palm trees, any kind of food one could possibly desire (erm... not curry) - and an overwhelming amount of white russians (the drinks I mean - although, amusingly, it is rather a russian holiday hotspot). SO as a consequence I have been fairly intoxicated, sleeping till 12, spending the day by the sea and then getting to bed at gone 3am and being quite the stop-out. I am *knackered* and definitely more than aware that my real student days are far behind me. I have also managed to counter most of the weight loss that I have undergone during my time in India!!

I have to say though that I cannot wait to get to bed tonight. Well, I am on my bed already. DB is out at an internet cafe being mardy -we are both being fairly intolerant of each other today, too tired and so are bickering like little toddlers. It is quite pathetic and pointless. But ultimately harmless. I have to say though that I am loving being on my own for a bit.

Workwise I have to say, despite my showing off of my holiday-time, I only truly relaxed and forgot about my work for about the first three days. Then I started worrying at it again and feeling dread when I thought about it. To the point where ths morning I really wondered what on *earth* I am going to do about this research pickle I have got myself into. I really should have done a theoretical piece - that is my forte after all. But no, let's go and play at being researcher... But this evening I spent some time going through my last journal entries and feel considerably calmer. I keep getting really horrible visions of really intense social situations that I would hate (can't think of any now, they have been temporarily smoothed away) but have to do to qualify as a 'good' researcher and then realise that I don't *have* to do these things - what I do have to do is take each day as it comes and work as hard at getting info as I can. I don't know why I try and upset myself so much. Stupid.

So, at the mo I am back in Chennai. I got back today and had a hot shower (yay!) and some curry (ummmm.... Nope, nope, I love curry I *do*, but it does get a bit on top of one after a while) and am now checking emails. Then I shall stop. Tomorrow I am researching how to get to my second site in the south - I am going to go and recce it over the next week. We leave on Weds I reckon, and shall go and have a look-see at the area and work out how best to research it. I was told by a great Indian guy (who told me loooooads about the nuances of Indian culture on our sleeper-train journey - another actually 'awesome' experience (best 'The Hills' accent required - if you don't watch it, be proud of yourself for being adult, if you do - AWESOME!) that no-one - I mean no-one- speaks English down there, all the signs are in the Tamil script and even they, as Indians (albeit from Goa, with a totally different language but hey), had to match a symbol they had to the writing on the bus to check it was theirs. Uh oh! This does not bode well and indicates that a lot of time will need to be spent there - learning the language, getting to know the local (and thinly spread! eek!) population... Oh DEAR. This is quite a turn up for the books, so I am going to have a look-see. Otherwise I may have to organise some kind of volunteering placement or something with an org based up this way... I shall see how it goes. But I also have good news! I received an email from an org in my first site that I contacted and they are looking forward to my visit! WOOT! I am most pleased and shall see what is what when we rock up there in a week from now.

So that is where I am at the moment. I am increasingly aware that I will have to either extend my stay here or come back later in the year to do the second half of my research... I think personally I would rather go back to the UK for a bit and take some time out of India and get all excited about coming back; and professionally I would like to do some more reading around my ideas and also do some analysis to come back with - even stronger! (any strength please.) In my heart of hearts though I just wish I could get it done by April 7th and go home. I am tired and a rubbish researcher! I don't like doing it! Well, I don't like what I have been doing so far, maybe I will like the more on-site, ethnographic-style research more (ummmm....). Apart from the fact I keep forgetting what the chuff 'doing an ethnography' is about, what to look for and why and how to note it and why. Ug. I do think that going home for a few months will totally recharge my batteries so will keep that in mind while I am here... And it will mean another winter away from home! Maybe with xmas as a deadline to give me motivation...

I do feel, on returning to this work, that the work I have been doing so far has been useful, but is defintely the background and sort of 'researching-the-research' phase. I can't claim to 'know' anything yet, I have made mistakes and also come a-cropper relying too much on other people. I feel like this is all ok now though, and that I am now starting the 'proper' research - a little bit wiser and a bit more wary perhaps? I know more what I can/cannot necessarily expect and - most valuable of all - I know that it will take time - and also know the fact that just because it takes time does not mean that I have failed. This type of research *just takes time*.

DB is back and angrily chasing cockleroaches round the room in his pants.

My word.

x J

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Janey - just wanted to say that I've read your entire blog in the time you were away! Found it through the PhD Forum while doing a bit of internet surfing/ "research". I'm hoping to start a PhD next year, after a few years of working and not getting my act together. Would love to start this year, but think I've missed the time for submitting funding applications etc. Just wanted to thank you for your blog - it's great! Really helpful and inspiring and funny too. (Also quite terrifying though!) I hope the research goes brilliantly in your next two sites and look forward to reading all about it.
xx
P.s. I'm actually going to India in a month, for a wedding and some exploring - but only for 2 weeks - so it's great hearing about India too!

Numpty said...

Hello Jo

What a lovely comment, thank you!! Big smiles!! :0))

If you want to do a PhD then do it - though it is a terrifying experience! Bear in mind that I am not 'doing' a PhD so much as 'bungling' my way through one so don't take too much of what I say to heart - it is such a unique experience and when it's your own topic it becomes your baby that you will love in a way no one else will quite fathom. A few years of worry (aahhh, what worry) and stress and *god* I hope to come out a better person for it (if a bit frayed and frazzled!)

India is just amazing - have a fantastic time - and if you decide to go ahead with the course GOOD LUCK (and let me know!)!

J x

Anonymous said...

Yay! So glad you're back. I must admit I checked your blog everyday hoping you had felt too guilty not to get online/post something!

Woohoo! :)

Numpty said...

Thanks Zalfa! Yep, I managed a whole week! Woot!

xx