Wednesday 20 October 2010

Pfffffffffffff

I'm still not working. Still not. Am so worried, I feel like such a fraud and so horribly guilty.

My Supervisor wants to see what I have written by the 2 Nov. It is near impossible but I have said I will give him something. How? It's a nightmare. I did come clean about not working as much as I would like, but didn't say not at all. I am meant to be full-time carer for my baby, full-time housewife for DB and full time student for my Supervisor. I can't keep it up. something is going to have to give - I feel like such a liar.

I don't know what to do. The bind is that I can't afford not to work, but then I can hardly afford childcare either. A childminder would cost about £50 a week for two mornings. How do I find that? And moving South is great but the rent there is about £200 more a month, and we still won't have enough room for us all to live and work there and I will only have money until June. Then we are paying more and earning less and I am just so worried. I can't face getting into massive debt problems, I have hundreds of pounds of debt each month as it is.

I'm in such a pickle. I don't know what the solution is. I need someone to take care of my baby so I can work, but this can't feasibly happen until late Jan. I need to go to the library and work and work but down south this will be an hour long commute, and up here I can't get away for long enough. DB works all hours, or is playing tennis (e.g tonight). He doesn't ask me if I have work plans. Ever. He hardly ever cooks and does no housework. He doesn't look after Bean, rather he babysits often leaving a trail of mess that is there for me to deal with afterwards. I can't cope! I hate it! I am miserable and waiting to see my sup with no work done, in line for a massive ticking off is just so fu*king depressing.

I don't know what to do.

x J

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Just wanted to wish you good luck and to thank you for the blog. It is so helpful to read another woman's hopes and fears about combining research and baby - something I'm attempting to do myself.

Here's hoping that your schedule rights itself, and that you meet your Nov. writing deadline. Baby steps!

Best wishes,
T

Anonymous said...

Wow thanks for the blog, I just started my PhD and found out I was pregnant, still only 14 weeks but it feels like the two are entwined- only one birth is 9 months and the other is 4 years! I know a baby is my life and the PhD is work (the words of my wise supervisor) but still I want to succeed at both!

It sounds like you are having a downer at the moment, but don't despair, you are doing very well and as T wrote above- baby steps! There is never a good time to have a baby and having such a strong, smart, and determined mother will do wonders for your kid.

My advice is use the experience to become super efficient and organised, and believe you can succeed at being a mum and a graduate. It's what keeps me going, and I have only just begun!

All the best
Bella

Zalfa said...

Very much thinking of you -- you can do this, Jayney!
One step, and then another, and then another. And if you end up anywhere near Nottingham, let me know! ;-)
xxx

Numpty said...

Aw thanks so much ladies! Really, thank you. Yes am having a downer. But it will work out, I know it will :0) I just wish I knew how!

And yes, absolutely Bella, life must come first and work will always be there. I wouldn't ever regret my baby for a second - work will sort itself out :0)

hugs y'all!