Saturday 9 October 2010

Verdict

Sooooooo...

Spoke to Grandma (aka Mother In Law) and she said she would love to look after Bean as much as we need, whenever we need... So we are out of here! Oh my goodness! A whole new phase of life awaits. I am so excited - I really believe that moving South will do us all the world of good; DB will have all his friends to help him relax and make him laugh and a reason to stop working, we will have babysitters so we can go out once in a while together (!!! woooooooo!!!), I will have friends but also be able to make new ones I hope through ma and baby groups and settle in properly and Bean will have so many grown ups and babies to play with and adore him :0) Fantastic! Our quality of life will be better and so, hopefully, we will be les grumpy and insular and prone to combustion hehe. Having a baby is stressful! Workwise I will be able to work 20 hours straight off and will try and scrabble together an extra 10 - I reckon 30 hours of good work a week should be just dandy. I really look forward to it!

For now I am just going to catch up on books and journal articles and maybe go to a conference or two. I am meant to be getting three hours work done today but DB has been coming down with the Flu all night so doubt that will happen. See, if we were down south then I could just ring Grandma/Aunty and ask if they could look after him for a few hours for me and so my work could always be done. Up here it comes a definite third after Bean and DB's schedule (not that illnes is on schedule but you know, his work and fitness is! And he wouldn't consider battling through, just sits and whines as men are sometimes wont to do hehe).

Anyway, my bubs has come over to say hello and is trying to type too so I better sign off ;0)

Just have to let my Supervisor know. Think I might tell a white lie and say my childcare fell through.

UG the baby has been for a poo! Oh noooooooooooooooo!

x J

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I ask what the ESRC maternity pay is? I am ESRC funded and have read you get 6 months paid leave followed by an optional up to 6 months unpaid leave, but is the 6 months paid on full funding or SMP?...I prob wouldn't attempt to combine baby and PhD until final year as like you, I would not want anyone else (apart from family) looking after the baby. I had originally wanted to do PhD first but age and some other issues mean we prob won't want to risk waiting that long. I was just a bit worried as I know work will have to fit around baby not vice versa! Plus, like you my other half's work would have to come before mine as his schedule is not flexible and he generally works long hours. I don't know why I'm worrying about this now really - will just see what happens, but maybe having some kind of plan will help motivate me not to waste time during first year as I hear is common for many people to do!
Sarah x

Numpty said...

Hello Sarah
ESRC maternity pay is 6 months full pay - your full stipend, so very generous! You won't get SMP unless you do some kind of paid work or pay NI contributions out of your stipend :0)

Good luck with your PhD and future baby-making! hehe
x J