Friday 5 December 2008

Friday innit

It's Friday! I have a weekend of fun in front of me - we are heading south to a traveller-area for some pool and sunshine and a bit of beer and some chips. Hurray!

I emailed a couple of contacts today. I think my contact emailing has left something to be desired so far - I think I have been all rather long winded and indirect. These emails I was more direct and to the point of my purpose here. I dunno, emailing prob isn't that good but I like it to cushion the suprise when I ring. I have been anxious because another week has gone by and I have done no formal work. I wonder if this is becsaue I am now ready to do formal work, and have woken up. So far I have been busy watching and learning and settling into Indian life, plus my new 'job' and language and getting anecdotal info. (Informal work - geddit?!). Now, I feel settled and it's ready to push on.

Actually, the best thing that I have done is start helping to teach the young 'uns down the road. I love it. I really, really love it. I have gone every day (I don't need to ever go, it's really nothing to do with me but I speak english so they thought I may want to go along) and am sad I can't go on Monday. I will be there on Tuesday. I get such a buzz from getting them to behave and listen to me (power trip!!) and when their little faces light up because I tell them how well they have behaved, or when we go through their work and talk about it (I talk, they look confused). I love being so happyn when they say 'Good afternoon' or have learnt a new word! I just love it. They are 8-10 and some are really naughty, some are fantastic, some are super-shy. I am winging it on beginners luck and my novelty value I know, but so far we are all getting along just fine. Am now wondering how many IR doctorate positions there are in primary school teaching... Hehe. Also, I like the hard kids the best. To walk into a nice quiet classroom and very well behaved children wouldn;t quite do it for me, I need them to be rough, loud, naughty and energetic. And then when you have aquiet classroom it is *amazing*.

I think I am probably just finding an outlet to hone my parental skills! Broody get that I am. I will learnt to teach swimming and get my teaching fix that way I think.

I am at work and being naughty on the tinternet. We haven't had internet for aaaages because of the rains, so am glad to see it again and not in a cramped internet office!) I have no creative juice today. I expended it all on Weds - I wrote two stories that day! I hope to go home at four.

Am going to chill and think for the weekend. Despite the bomb threats in Colombo and bus bombs etc I am going to go to Sri lanka and try to get a new visa anyway.

better go and pretend to be really creative (how to write a story when you have no plot?! And I am very hungry. Not good.)

x J

No comments: