Thursday 11 December 2008

Writing in Fieldwork

I read a blog (www.phddiary-shr.com - pop this into google and her site comes up easy as pie) and in it she mentions fieldwork writing, and the form that this should take. Now, I am a rather impetuous researcher and admittedly not very mature - I haven't read much about 'doing' research (how I lament this lack of preparation - tho I was very busy focussing on other aprts of my imminent fieldwork?!!) and have been writing a journal every night, and relaying anecdotal info and analysing. But as I have been writing it has occured to me that maybe I am meant to hand in this journal as data. I am not sure if it is something I *refer* to in the writing up process, or whether it is actually 'data' in its own right... I am now thinking it may be the latter. In which case I shouldn't necessarily write about when DB is being annoying, or when I am ill... !! The problem for me is though, that the process of thinking and writing are often one-in-the-same. I can't write 'here' about this part of my day, and 'there' about another. They all intermingle. Which theoretically I am sure is fine, I can say it is all pomo bla bla - but personally, I don't much care for my examiners reading about my personal day-today issues and insecurities! I definitely need to a) re-write or b) sanitise my writings in the future and keep it strictly work.

The problem with that is, that my writing is pretty free flowing - I can be whinging one minute, then something will pop into my head about work that is really good and insightful (yes, yes I am brilliant, thank-you). Hmmph!

Anyway on my searches about how to be a grown-up ethnographic field writer I found this, and it is super:
http://www.infed.org/research/write_up.htm

Thank you phddiary-shar for drawing this (albeit unintentionally) to my attention!!

x J

PS - I had an email from someone wanting to meet with me to talk about my woik. HURRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let the formal work commence.

No comments: