Monday 29 December 2008

Working, working, thinking...

Today I have been working very hard! I have been sat thinking and working and reading about how to do fieldwork...

Luckily I do know how to do fieldwork, I just thought I didn't. So phew for that. I did more prep before leaving the UK than I thought! Reading through the info I realised I had done/was doing most of the advice. All that is left is to suck it and see...

Did a lot of work on my plan in fieldsite 1 too. Worked out exactly what I want to know, in three broad questions. I still have to work out how best to go about getting the info in the short space of time that I have (left). I am loathe to do surveys or questionnaires as that is the method employed by many NGOs, avoiding in depth 'reality' which is so vital to actually gauging the effect of 'aid' on life. Although, I suppose, my questions may be very different. Also, the peeps will be tired of being researched I expect (can't assume though - maybe they will be delighted!) So something between an ethnography and structured interviews will have to do I think. Something expedient! I shall think on it more tomorrow. I have been relating my work here to my general topic a lot more today too, and it seems to be coming together (for now). I have started some themes and categories, which I was desperate to avoid - in a fit of postmodernism - but also now realise that I want to have categories for two main reasons: 1) my mind likes this kind of stuff, I like to be organised; and 2) I can see how I am 'progressing' from possibly naive or uninformed categories, which are little more than biases or assumptions, to more informed and thoughtful themes, understandings of relationships and the environment and people and suchlike. Which will be pleasing. So I think I need Nvivo. I haven't actually learnt to use it - my uni was a bit naff with the courses unfortunately. Hopefully I can find enough info on the tinternet, or some kind soul on findaphd will help me!

So yarse. I feel much better. Am still not sure about my fieldsites, I feel worried about them but can't say why. I am also worried about the length of time I have left here but then again am not super-keen on extending my time. I really have to be getting home. Once I finish up in April I will have only 18 months to analyse and write up. This does not sound like long! I am so miffed with how I have spent my first two months here. I really should have spend the first couple of weeks travelling around all the coast and spending time at possible field sites, then come to Chennai and warmed into life in Inja and chilled and thought about which may be best, made contacts and then gone to the field site a couple of weeks ago. But no, I had to have a placement organised for my Uni (I would have been happy to make it up as I went along!) and they blinkin told me they had work exactly in my field of interest, and then I work for a few weeks to be polite (having been badgering them about this placement since May) then they don't have anything for me. Anything except one email address! Arg arg arg. I am so irritated. I should have been outta here ages ago. Thing is, if they had had something they would have been my major 'in' - introducing me to aid recipients and villages and letting me see their different projects etc. I said to them if they have good projects and we work well together I would be happy to stay until April... But did they say 'No! Oh No, Miss J, we have no work in that field!'. Nope. Not a dicky bird.

ARG. Personally, the experience was great and I would not change it. Professionally... It is hard to say. I wish I could have not had that placement. But then I have got a *lot* of informal and anecdotal info from being there, have taught in a local rubbish school (and loved it) and written kiddies stories (and loved it) and made some lovely friends... But now, I have limited time for the other research. And I still know jack-all about the Tsunami aid effort. GREAT. If ONLY I had known! If only!!!

'Life is best understood backwards, but must be lived forwards'

Too true!

Hope everyone have a tickety boo time wherever they are!

x J

No comments: