Sunday 1 February 2009

At Site One - Mama

Oh my god. I just wrote the most enormous entry and google let me know they had a problem as I went to publish it. I can't write it again, I just can't.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!

Basically, I am in Mama - site one, I have a lovely room with balcony and everything and am sure they are going to say we can't have it for our time here two months! (tho they seem to think we can) We are trying it out for tonight as it is important to know how noisy it is outside of a morn! I can't believe it is february already and don't want to leave India in April any more, I am really nervous about tomorrow as it is my first day of research - I feel like it is my first day at school, and am really very scared of ringing two people tomorrow. I may ring one, and see if the other responds to my email and will ring them on Tues if not. I am a phone-chicken. I am going to spend tomorrow reccying the area on my feetsies and seeing what tsunami memorials there are, and am really unsure what to do about all the begging and hawking - the women and children and old men. Old people I don't mind and tend to give them money though know they can often be exploited too. The children break my bitter, cold heart but I can't reward their begging. I will teach them english and chat with them but no money. Hopefully some volunteering will make me feel better about this.

Going now - I have notes to type up at my room from today. W got a rickshaw up the coast and so have lots of pics and info from the journey which is great - but pretty boring!

Will write again tomorrow about my first day!

PS
Ahhh... a man just came and put all these yellow and pink flowers around my computer! :0) I think tonight is a special Hindu night because there are more incense sticks burning than usual... and then these flowers. You would think I would know these things. But I don't :0s Though how to keep up with them all I don't know...

x J

No comments: