Monday 5 October 2009

Monday! Not Wednesday!

I keep thinking it is Wednesday today! It is definitely not. Maybe it is because i did some work yesterday?!

Went into Uni earlier, was going to re-register so I can use the library again (and not get bleeped when I try to use the online catalogue and told that I have no more 'patron priviledges') but it was full of freshers. Very young people these freshers! So full of energy! And there is me, just trying to find a loo (of course) and with bump. Is strange to be in a Uni and pregnant! I ignored the queue and will go back another day. Met with Sup who said that my presentation will be great (yaya!) and was really into my ideas and is confident about my progress (phew!) so was all excitable after that. Then went with him to a meeting about my research group which turned out to be a faculty member-only meeting - no other students were there! I was given some funny looks and I silently cursed my Sup for telling me to come along when I was blatently not meant to be there, introduced myself, and actually was of some use as could say what students wanted from the meetings instead of it being all about what the lecturers want us to do/achieve. Was good to meet some other members of the dept too and get a bit of an insider view of what they all get up to for the students! Felt quite grown up ;0)

Then went to New Look and tried on some maternity clothes that made me look like a dumpy pregnant smurf and went to Greggs the baker and came out with a sandwich, having successfully bypassed all the doughnuts, sausage rolls, pastries and crisps. Go me! Was going to get my hair cut but was knackered so crawled onto the train and came home. I like home. Am back in again next week but think am free until then. Was good to go in and feel part of the faculty again, tout myself round a bit and feel that I do have a home! Can feel quite unmoored and alienated being at home all the time, even though it is what I would choose if I could. So is good I *have* to go in because I do benefit from it.

I was meant to finish my paper and presentation this afternoon but haven't. I shall do some work on it now for an hour or so.

Am so pleased my Sup likes my presentation (although it is rather late if he didn't!) and also really pleased that I came up with the ideas for it and executed them all by myself. Another step taken towards academic independence... Eek!

x J

No comments: