Tuesday 6 October 2009

Professional pride, begone

Oh well. I am in the middle of editing my paper, not a too strenuous job but necessary, and I get an email from the conference organisers saying that the papers re: my panel are here! Well, *my* paper actually, as I am the only one keen enough to hand it in straight away. Turns out they would be grateful if those who haven't submitted their papers yet did so asap. Other than that, nothing. I should have kept mine back too! Now mine is the only one handed in, and it is toss!

I am embarrassed. I am with IR royality and handed in toss. I have learnt two lessons: 1) don't hand in toss and 2) don't be so keen.

I have actually only really started working just now, I have spent much of the day skiving and daydreaming as we had a Bean scan earlier! He is definitely a 'he', (excellent) and weighs 2lbs 5 oz which is spot on, and is marvellous complete with chubby cheeks.

I bought a new work desk yesterday on some kind of high induced by a severe sugar crash in Staples. It was actually a bargain, a small computer desk and chair for £30, student offer and the last in the shop so snapped it up, though now I am much prefering my big kitchen table desk. How fickle! No, I will use it, I am going to take down this megalith of a desk when we have our next guest as it really does take up all the spare room and in future I want to use this room as a beanie play room and spare room for our multitude of long term guests next year. I also don't want this hulking desk to be whining 'work' at me every time I pass the room! So it is being dismanteled at the end of November. Exciting!

Well, better get one with the paper I am editing for no reason (oh, shame is me) and definitely by the end of tomorrow I shall be done with this and move on to writing up the fieldwork. Darned RA is still on the skive. GRRRRRR.

Laters!
x J

No comments: