Monday 12 October 2009

Presentation, presentation

Today I have been alternately sorting out my house, doing my presentation and working the paper into my chapter.

Yesterday avo I went through the presentation and wrote a better ending, so today I have again re-edited and am alllll done with it. Have been reading it a lot, find I get very out of breath even just practising it myself but am getting the feel of it and is becoming pretty predictable... I worked on it on Friday until 7pm, didn't want to leave it until it was pretty much all written and it took ages! Had to keep practising it to see if it was 10 mins or not. Is 10/11 minutes now, am thinking I have a 10-15 minute slot so should be ok. The 11 minute is with lots of pauses, the 10 mins is pretty speedy but not superfast. Will probably deliver it in a whitewash of panic and so be on superspeed... ;0)

DB has got a horrible cold so am hoping either a) I get it and is so bad I can't go (won't happen, I will go whatever) or b) he keeps it to himself. Is these antenatal classes, full of teachers with lurgy. Speaking of which we had the antenatal class all day on Sat, which was great but exhausting! Sooooo tired. Yesterday tried to clean the house, failed and went out with DB for the afternoon to buy some shirts for him and then worked in the afternoon (in front of the tv) and so am up and about today, feeling ok but is why am having lots of breaks as well as working, instead of making myself sit here all day bar a break for lunch. Think today is mainly about feeling confident that the presentation will work and makes sense, and getting th main points in my brain so I can start to read it on autopilot and make lots of eye contact, despite reading it from the sheet. Am remembering to slow down, to enunciate and to take breaths between sentences. And hold my chin up so I project my voice. DB is out for most of today which is helpful.

Oh my word! It is 3pm! I just saw! Goodness me, I thought it was about 1.30 maybe. I shall practice it again and then look at the chapter. I totally forgot that I had yet to write this paper into the chapter and so that will put writing the Indian chapter back yet again - I am away all next week too (YAY!) so basically, if I want to get it done by the end of the month I have one week to do it in! Cripes. We know that isn't going to happen but am not happy at rescheduling yet so am in denial.

This PhD malarky is complicated.

x J

No comments: