Tuesday 24 March 2009

Back on it...

Today is a Very Important Day. I have tidied my housey and later we are going out to get my ring re-sized so it doesn't fall off in the washing up/cake mix/soup/bed and then, of all places, to Asda to go and get some housey supplies.

But in the meantime I have heard from my Sup who is - phew! - very pleased for me, has sent me the slides for the presentation I missed yesterday due to my gallivanting, and has put himself forward to be a bridesmaid. I told him it was quite a frightening prospect but he assured me he would scrub up well... So I have relented and told him to shave and wear clean trainers cause there ain't no scruffy bridesmaids at my weddin'.

So I have the slides which I will use first to ease me back into work. I have little knowledge of postcolonial thinking - another swathe of literature I am pretty sure I have forgotton to include in my planning! Oh my WORD so much reading to do. Relentless reading. I just wish I was at that stage where you are up every day and not working seems crazy you are so used to it. But I am quite the opposite! Which is why today is very important, I need to psychologically get myself back into work and not beeday/romance/grieving/moving house moods like I have been! What a blinkin rollercoaster this year has been.

I have pretty much relinquished my study to DB for now. I think it is preferable he sits upstairs - when he is working he is actually a bit of an evil troll with no humour or tolerance for anyone in the world and it isn't much fun trying to watch Corrie next to that. And he is a mess so the sitting room is a state if he is in it! I can't cope! So I have sent him upstairs - learning to be a bit less psycho protective of my workspace may be a good thing - what if I have to hot-desk in my new job?!! Eek! Also, I am tidier so should play to that strength, and at the moment I am just reading and writing notes - I don't need a special desk in a speical room to do that. And I should be in Uni more too so, you know, he needs the space and his using it does keep me in champagne - what can I say?!! AND, finally, I don't even like it up there much - it is a bit lonely! I prefer the kitchen, hub of all happinesses are kitchens. And now I have my laptop I can work anywhere, super.

SO today. Read through the slides, make notes and maybe try and develop a mental map of neocolonial discourses, then try and understand how I really only have a month left to read for and write my methodology, and try and sit and gt into reading about habermas - I am running out of time!!! I must motivate myself.

x J

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Jayney, that is brilliant news! Really glad you got to have a weekend away being spoilt and your supervisor was supportive too. Love your quote of the day at the moment too btw, it's now on a post-it on my desk :)

Numpty said...

Thank youuuuuu Mel!!! My sup is such a lovely man, I am so lucky.

Quote is my screensaver! is a good motivator isn't it?!!

x J

Anonymous said...

Hey, congratulations on your engagement!

Weirdly your quote is my screensaver too!!!

Love reading your blog

:)

Numpty said...

Thank you Wookie! And happy glad you like the blog :0P

re: screensaver I think it is a PhD favourite!

x J