Tuesday 13 September 2011

Stepping up to the plate

RIGHT.  no more shit arse moi.  I am serious now!

I did hardly any work today.  Instead I had a haircut (for mah weddin'), got stressed (about my weddin'), locked myself out of the house and had to hunt out spare keys, drank coffee, read the paper (did actually have a long article relevant to work in it.  The rest er, didn't), wrote a sentence, faffed and then had the pleasure of a very rare phone call from my best mate who has just reached her 37th week of pregnancy. 

So didn't do much.  This has actually pissed me off.  Tonight I went to my triathlon swimming club (arf I am *tired* I forgot how evil it is - and it was an easy session!) and met up with a woman who works with the VC at uni and has her PhD.  Since i found out this I have become rather awestuck and felt like such a worm when she asked me how my PhD was going.  I said it was ok.  It isn't!  I haven't done anything!  I just wanted to hug her legs and ask how she did it and survived and ask her if I will do it too.  She said it was worse than giving birth because it is so protracted and that doing a PhD is EVIL.  I think people with PhDs are intense and amazing people.  But I am definitely NOT.  I am a fraud! 

Doing a PhD IS EVIL people.  We really have let ourselves in for something that is ENORMOUS and EVIL.  And, as such, we must work hard to achieve it.  Will we finish?  YES!  But I will only finish if I stop eating mini cheddars and making cups of tea instead of typing typing typing.

I must be unhappy.  I must TYPE.  EVERY DAY.

x J

No comments: