Tuesday 16 April 2013

And Sleep

Arf I have worked my brain dead socks off today.

I still have so much to do but have made a proper dent in it today. 

It is strange now how I happily work with the entire thesis in front of me.  Chapters feel very small!  I can dart around the whole thesis and know it and my 300 references inside and out.  I know each paragraph and argument and can navigate around it quickly - which sounds like it should be obvious considering I wrote the damn thing for years but actually, when you finish it is surprising how the thing as a whole is still daunting!

I think I have done some decent amendments today.  Some stuff like not being too dramatic in my phrasing and toning down some of my arguments (I can come across as rather over zealous apparently :)), or at least putting the alternative viewpoint(s) in there so readers know I am aware of them have been ok.  Is a lot of highlighted stuff which is what shows I have made changes. 

Still I know in my heart of hearts I am working as fast as I can to get the bare minimum standard met.  I am not flourishing about, I am not reading more than I should and I am literally working to save my ass rather than impress anyone.  I don't know how this will go down.  It might be enough - lord knows my Sup has been keen to impress on me that I am NOT re-writing but making minor revisions/re-writes...  And I can remember now more clearly what the points were in the viva so can address them as I go along and see what mistakes I have made (lots!).

I think being able to see the mistakes is really pleasing, it shows that even tho I was working so much before I submitted I really have learnt how to write so much better.  I can self-correct now I know my tics and writing does feel a lot more fluent.  I can concentrate so much more on what I want to say rather than how to say it in an academic way :)  This is really pleasing and makes me feel Very Grown Up.

Still lots to do though.  My brain/back/ankles are getting tired but I can't really afford to stop!  Will carry on for a bit longer and then will have to be patient and do some more tomorrow night.

x J

No comments: