Friday 5 April 2013

Working away - it's all rather fluent

Well, well, well.

I finally got down to some work and after a few hours of sort of working and sort of not working I have been working away.

And it is really interesting and brilliant, actually, how easily my brain has got back into thinking about it all again.  In fact, even though I have had some shitty work to do it has almost been pleasing.  (Almost.)  Like, Sup wanted me to look at two other examples that correlate with my case-study, which basically means reading reports about, understanding and then regurgitating two more case-studies when I have been studying this one for FIVE years.  I hated reading the reports for this PhD!  (Who likes reading reports?!)  It took me ages!  So much reading!  So much paper!  But today I managed to filter out the actual reading I needed to do, rather than reading everything (it is for a purpose - to be referenced!  If it won't be referenced, don't read it!)  I grabbed the quotes I wanted straight away and wrote them into the chapter, then referenced them in endnote straight away.  In the end I have added 1000 words of analysis and explanation from about 4 good references - I might need more refs but they show what I need to say so why not just leave it at that for now.  (I wish I had a couple more refs but actually there aren't any more online to be found for now.)  But it looks like I know what I am talking about and that I have a point to make, the same as if I had reams of notes I hadn't used under my desk.

I have written no notes and not done my usual read, write, think, regurgitate into chapter. 

I think this is very interesting and shows that I have come a long way from when I started out on the PhD, when I was researching and would read everything, and have tonnes of notes.  It means that I have enough background knowledge now that I can work with surface information in a more in-depth way - I am using the info to back MY ideas up, ideas I have had for years, rather than learning everything anew.  This is interesting and a real development.  In this sense I am glad I had corrections to do because I didn't know that I had learnt to work like this...  I thought being an academic would mean starting from scratch with notes etc but actually, it would be working on what I know and I seem to know more than I think.  I do feel rather grown-up about it all, like writing a paper about what I know - which obviously I would do - from the PhD wouldn't necessarily be arduous and take forever.  It is about my thoughts and then I think 'ah!  so-and-so writes about this let me see if I can get a quote' and on we go.  Typing is quite fast in comparison with when you start out and don't know what you want to say/how to say it/who to use to back it up.

Very interesting!  And motivating!

x J

No comments: