Thursday 22 March 2012

Confused

Arg I need a break.

This chapter is now up to over 9000 words and I am sure I have not yet said anything.  it is a load of waffle.  I don't have time for waffle!  i wanted words on a page but coherent, useful ones ;0)

hmm it probably isn't that bad.  I think I might need to leave it now and come back to it with fresh eyes and see what I have written about.  I have a feeling that a) I have nearly finished it, or in fact, finished it; b) it needs some serious re-writing; c) it needs to have lots of crossreferencing and more of my theory and key authors positions in it.

I think I need to start my lit review.  Once that is written i should have all the key authors and key debates and contentions and how I differ from them down pat.  Then all I need to do (hehe, as if) is transfer that knowledge onto my discussion chapter, jiggle and re-write so the contentions I am making stay the same but are cleverer, more in-depth and generally firmer, and then it is done.  My other option is to go through my notes and write in the relevant authors and contentions now but if I do that they sound like I am saying them for the first time/introducing new ideas and fo' sho' I do not want to be doing that now.  this chapter is about what i have already said and what this means for my discipline, not debating new contentions :0)

Soooo I think it is better than I feel, but also worse as I really want to have this chapter DONE, at least to first draft standard, asap.  But it looks like it will have to go on hold for a week or two while I do the lit review chapter.

I suppose the chapters just aren't discrete any more and so can't be worked on as individual pieces of work.  I need to learn to chill out and be more flexible and just let this one go for now.

AND I wrote about 1,300 words today.  the structure is there, the main contentions I want to make, the conclusion and it cross references my chapters (chapter 6 showed la la la) and contentions really well.  It just doesn't have much of my theory or the theory and contemporary debates of my discipline in there and it most definitely needs that to be a-ok.  but I know that now, so hurray.

OK!  I am off to get my little one.  need to get out and away!  I shall not come back to this today (YAYAYA) but will start my lit review maybe tomorrow night or Saturday night.  God knows how I am going to start that mammoth piece of work.

x J

No comments: