Wednesday 4 April 2012

Lit review is MINE!

Haha, I own this literature review :0)

I am absolutely delighted with my work today.  I would boast more but would also have to say that  just think that I am getting used to my style of working, undoing bad habits (such as constantly fiddling with my intro before I have written the text) and relying more on my strengths (constantly fiddling with the intro to plan my chapter before writing the text... uh oh). 

I have planned this chapter and, as far as I can see, it looks pretty spot-on.  It mirrors my discussion chapter and the key topics within, it covers all the issues made in my various other lit review plans over the years and also draws on all the literature I have piled around me on the floor.  It is argument driven, it shows where my research is coming from and proves (I hope) there is a case to answer.  It doesn't cover much ground I don't already know inside and out (a good sign!) which is a huge relief, and doesn't cover much that bores me to death either.  In fact, some of the points I am really looking forward to getting down because I can imagine, for a new reader, they would be revelatory (I am such a geek).  I even have the concluding argument down.  I have nearly half of it written due to old drafts and copy-and-pasting I have done over the years as I have been writing chapters and realised certain para's would be in the lit review :0)  Hurray!  So am nearly halfway there which is totes brillllllllllliant.  However, this stuff does need tending and neatening and editing, and I still have to write a LOT.  This chapter is probably looking at being around 10,000 words at the mo, but I do not intend for it to be this long.  8,000 should do.

Still not heard from Sup about discussion chapter.  I check compulsively.

I am so delighted I have nailed this chapter.  Can I just say (completely prematurely and in the knowledge that this will probably bite me on the arse in a few days time when I am totally depressed and don't know what the heck I am doing) I think I am getting used to how I work, and therefore the writing is getting easier?  Can I say this or will I totally jinx myself...  I will balance it out by saying I still never know what the hell I am saying or why, but *can* say that I am getting used to the process of writing chapters.  I know that I have to write the intro first, pretty roughly but so that when I come back to it I can see straight away what the chuff this is all about.  I then copy and paste my intro under my intro again but split it into sections with subheadings.  This then forms my main text.  I then write a quick conclusion (a sentence) to remind myself of the point (or copy this from the intro).  Then I look through old drafts I have saved along the way and add in any text from there that fits my chapter.  then I am ready to write in new stuff and ta-da. 

I know my foibles too - I can fixate on the intro to the exclusion of all else, which is daft when the main text will develop and change organically as you write, and so therefore, will the intro.  It is just a pointer until you are into the main text, which will then in turn dictate the intro.  I can spend too long on particular phrasing and points which may not even have a real aim.  I think though, a looming deadline kicks these things out of you.  I can also edit better as I go along now - my phrasing is sooooo much better than it used to be; I can see a convoluted sentence a mile off now whereas I used to really love them :)  I have a bigger vocab and an excellent store of synonyms for words I use again and again, like 'demonstrate', or 'examine', or 'explain' :0)  Altogether, this knowledge helps one write with speed and efficiency.  I can also spot a shit argument from a mile away.  hehe.  So even in the process of writing up, I am learning how to be an academic.  I can now start to sense that a life writing papers as a scholar needn't be a nightmare as you learn the tricks of the trade.  In fact, writing - the language you use, how to form a narrative and systemically organise a paper - could become second nature so you only need to really worry about your argument.  And as an academic you only spout the same stuff again and again so that's taken care of too!  (soreeeeee academics, I am only joking).  (am not).

So there we are, it's all rosie.  For NOW.

I have to go and get my boy now, ta ra!  I think I might even have tonight off!

No comments: