Tuesday 31 July 2012

Working :)

Soooo I re-read choice bits of my 'how to write a dissertation in 15 minutes a day' and it has helped me enormously!

I cannot emphasise how much I love this book!  I was dreading work and felt completely overwhelmed by it all.  And then I read a lovely section saying just try and freewrite rubbish for 10 mins a day.  And you might think, '10 mins?!  But that is not enough!' and she would say 'Ah.  But 10 mins is infinitely more than nothing!' and she is quite right.  And by that standard I have managed to sit and work uninterrupted for two sessions of 10 mins :)  I am very pleased with this.  About to go and do another session in a minute; I do ten mins and then have 20 mins off(ish).

I am also writing down every single time I go to play on the internet while I am working.  It is apparent that my concentration span at the moment is about 40 seconds long.  No, I am not joking!  Every minute I have a physical compulsion to click on the internet.  I have now disabled my internet by pressing my wireless off button, which is at the top of my laptop so I have to physically reach up to it to turn it on, and it is worrying the amount of times my hand twitches to do it!  I am an actual addict.  So this goes to show why I never work.  By writing it down I manage to do something with my twitch (!) and also look back and realise how many times I avoided skiving in a ten minute session AND hopefully see the gaps between each compulsion grow...  Arf I am in a mess!

My plan is to pootle on with the ten mins a day thing until Saturday, when DB and Bean will be safely in the South and I shall have three whole days to work, uninterrupted.  On these days I shall aim to to 2 pages of writing.  I can do this over however many hours I want, but when it is done my time is my own.  I shall also endeavouir to write before I do anything else, which is how I used to work before I had bean.  I would get up, get coffee and toast, sit at my desk and start work within about 20 mins of waking up.  these days I have to shower, dress (! such an inconvenience getting out of one's pj's), look after Bean, get him to the childminders and THEN finally, work.

I shall also write EVERY day bar one.  Even if it just for 10 mins.

It doesn't sound like much but, as nice lady whose name I forget says, it is better than the nothing I have done for the past two weeks!

Anyway, my ten minutes are calling!

x J

No comments: