Tuesday 11 September 2012

Self Plagiarism :)

AnonymousSomeone kindly commented on this:

Anonymous said...
"Self-Plagiarism is defined as a type of plagiarism in
which the writer republishes a work in its entirety
or reuses portions of a previously written text while
authoring a new work."

Do you need to worry about this? They have some clever software for detecting this!
ps Glad to see that you're back on track

So do be aware peeps - I am SURE no-one copies what I do but do be aware that if you are copy and pasting old work verbatim or paraphrasing you do need to put that in your references, then it should be fine (look at your uni guidelines).  Generally when I am saying I copy and pasted I really do mean it only as a template for further development - is virtually unrecognisable by the time I have finished editing as my old work is useful for the basics but conceptually a bit crap :)  And I NEVER have reason to copy and paste anything that was thoughtful and analytical, just obvious stuff like ethics guidlines on participant observation or methods etc that haven't changed in aeons.  A PhD is a piece of ORIGINAL work!

Just so you know NOT to do a PhD by simply copy-and-pasting old work into chapters!!!!

x J

No comments: