Saturday 1 September 2012

On to the methodology

And after my lovely day off I am back to it :)

I am on a two week holiday in less than two weeks and am determined to get as much of this methodology chapter dones as I can, if not actually finished in some form.  Because then, then, then my friends I would only have the intro and concl to write from scratch :)  Oh what a lovely day!

I had a quick squizz through it the other day and it isn't so bad as it stands, I have about 2500 words down and a decent outline of the structure.  In all honesty I have no idea what goes in a methodology chapter so better find out today.

I have to put away my notes from the precious chapter and get out my methodology notes instead which i will do today.  I will work in ten minute sections as I am completely terrified about starting again from scratch!  From tonight (am working 5-8/9pm) I will start trying to achieve 500 words a day, in ten minute sections, with one day off a week.  This leaves me...  11 working days until I go on hols, so a possible 5500 words to have written.  That's ok by me.  This chapter will NOT be any more than 8,000 words.  I am struggling to work out how to fill 8000 to be honest!

Let me think.  A methodology will need (in no particular order):

  • Explanation and defence of theoretical direction.  This will be a lot - about 3000 words.
  • Research Question and how I got there.
  • Explanation and defence of research carried out, methods used, 'sample', research assistants.  This will include a bit about why I didn't use other methods that might have also been suitable/acknoweldgement of how methods and theory did or did not match (my theory hates the idea of 'objective research' on behaviour but sadly I had to questionnaires and interviews as time didn't allow for ethnography).
  • Explanation and defence of my case study country, area, region, villages.
  • Explanation of the limits of my research.
  • Ethical considerations.
Hmmm.  Anything else?!  Am not sure. 

Am annoyed as I think I have realised that I tried to say too much in my lit review and ended up with it being a garbled load of everything rather than concise presentation of a few ideas.  Eek.  This doesn't matter too much as it is the first draft and anything too 'much' for the lit review will probably go in the intro.  Is just disappointing and makes me dread my Sup's vicious criticism.  Anyway, it is written and ready to re-work at a later date :)

x J

No comments: