Monday 31 August 2009

4,500 words!

Oooh I have managed to cut and paste about 4,500 words from one of my chapters into my paper!

This is very pleasing. The end result should be between 5-8,000 words (former Sup's recommendation, latter the specification of the conference) which with all the new reading I have done and some editing of todays copy and pasting should be spot on. Not bad for a days work! I also cut some of the text from the chapter and put it into my next one, which was about 2000 words - brilliant head start!

Next I have to read and edit the words I have copy and pasted - do they actually fit in properly? And read through the notes I have made of the new literature and write that in. I have written sub headings into it; well, the main points of the paper from the abstract, and will use them as markers to keep structure. I will rub them out at the end, they are just a guideline. I guess I will add subtitles if feel they are necessary. I find this useful when am not writing completely from scratch because you take your eyes from the text all the time and sometimes don't know where you are when you flick back to it!

I have worked in front of joyful, silly television today. My room was stressing me out as I have allllll my notes in there, all my plans, a pile of work/ideas/articles I don't know if I want to add, and my laptop - it was all rather overwhelming. So I came down with my laptop and one plan and managed to do the copy and pasting in a vaguely leisurely way with the tv for company. Being upstairs was making me feel really annoyed at having to be shut away and working too, so I was skiving until I came down and let myself have the tv and all sorts of distractions - which meant I automatically shunned them, feeling guilty. Cunning plan! DB is out playing tennis and at the pub so will probably come home stinking of beer and fags and being stupid. D'oh! As long as he doesn't interrupt my Wuthering Heights time later!!

Tomorrow I will read quickly through the copy and pasting I did today, see if it actually fits and flows and if there is anything I may have left out, and refresh my memory of the point of the paper in my reading. This may be really quick and easy, setting the scene for the paper really, or be more difficult than I anticipate. This means I am a bit nervous about doing it and not looking forward to tomorrow, but is not worth starting now unless I want to commit to working *hard* until later this evening. Which, quite frankly, I do not.

Is ok though, seeing as I wanted to spend this week getting the paper sorted out and words down, a structure and an idea of what was what - is right on target.

I hope you have all had lovely bank holidays!

x J

No comments: