Wednesday 2 November 2011

I'm working!

I am working hurrah! 

I was procrastinating terribly, mucking about on t'internet and texting people who are too busy to reply and making cups of hot drinks I didn't actually want ;0)  Then I had a talk with myself and realised that it wasn't the work I didn't want to do, it was having to go upstairs to my quiet, lonely office and sit and type.  Too intense...  so I made a deal with myself and am now happily working away in front of the tele.  Well, sideways on to the tele.  And am completely ignoring it and typing away.  I have made a big mess of the sitting room with all my paper which isn't ideal as I will have to pack it all up later which may be irritating.  But, wonderfully, we had the biggest, softest settee delivered last Monday (a proper grown-up one!  not second hand or a hand-me-down but a proper big family settee!  Ooooh get me) and me, my laptop and all my notes fit on it superbly *and* I still have room to have a wee lie down and a ponder when necessary.

Huzzahs!

Am hungry so am off to make my leek and potato soup - with the milk I poached some smoked haddock in last night so it'll be kinda like a chowder.  Tasty!  I shall make, eat, then resume my work.  I am babysitting a friend's toddler tonight but first have to give him *and* Bean their tea.  Together.  At the same time.  I will be horribly outnumbered.  Eek!

x J

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hiya,
I read that your PhD is on Foucault. Mine uses Foucault's concept of governmentality. How do you find reading the old stuff?

Numpty said...

Hello! I use foucault to analyse my work, mostly drawing on his ideas of governmentality, biopolitics and networks of discipline malarky. I like reading his stuff though it takes sooooo long to read his lectures! Need to read a lot more tbh ;0) Always more to do... How are you finding it? Are you knee deep into it or just starting?
x J

Anonymous said...

Hi Janey,
I am writing up but my new supervisor suggested that my PhD was lacking theory so I'm using governmentality the same as you - as a spine to my thesis and a lens to view my findings. How long have you got left? I'm in my extension year - have until June but I can't see me having it done by then!!!

Numpty said...

Ah yes theory is always the key ;0) My course deadline is the 31 May and I have to finish then or the Uni will be penalised re: future ESRC funding! Is the extension year the writing up year? Tis where I am :0) Good luck! x J