Tuesday 29 November 2011

Working my butt off

Finally!  The time is NOW!  The iron is hot! 

I had my nice plans yesterday about handing in my first draft 6 weeks before my submission date.  Then I realised that in that 6 weeks I will have to do re-writes, have it proof read AND have my sup read it and mark it a few times and then have it bound and bla bla and 6 weeks will in no WAY cut it.  Oh I wish I had a sup to tell me these things.  So I have decided to work my ASS off until the 28 Feb when I shall have my first draft ready three months ahead of my submission date.  This will give me plenty of time to let my Sup read it, so I can re-write and correct madly for a month, have a professional proof-read it and send it back to me, and then get it back to Sup, then bound and hand it in.  I think it would be best if those last three months were done as calmly as possible, rather than in a mega stressful last-minute mad dash.  So probably best I have the mad dash now while there is still time to sort out any major f*ck-ups and time delays ;0)  I worked last night until about 11pm when I passed out and have worked in concentrated silence today.  I finished the segment I was reading early so thought I would treat myself to a wee skive rather than start something new for all of ten minutes. 

So, I have 6 chapters to write in three months.  Don't scoff, I know someone with two children who wrote her whole thesis in three months ;0)  And I did my entire MA dissertation in two months, research and all and got a lovely mark for it.  I think at this stage just whizzing through it so all the info is in your head and spilling out onto paper is the best approach.  I might go slightly mad but better now than when it is all too late.  And I shall have two weeks 'off' at the beginning of march while my Sup is reading his vast, badly written copy of my first ever completed draft of my thesis.  The thought of its giantness, its completeness, that last full stop, makes me giddy with excitement.  I think I am happier with a horrible deadline like this.  A) I work best under pressure and with a nasty deadline that I *have* to meet.  And B) I HATE my work so much and cannot wait to be rid - so best get on with it!  Living with it is becoming intolerable, I want it out, out out!

My study looks like I have gone and and just chucked paper everywhere.  Everywhere.  I blew up our blow up bed yesterday and made it up so I can sit in bed and do all my reading and writing late into the night.  I hate working sitting on the floor and my desks are covered in notes that I can't move for if I disturb them I shall lose them!  yes, I am definitely on the homeward straight.

Anyway, I better put some lights on.  Outside is wet and gloomy and I have to go and get the bubsicle.  poor me.  And after he is fed and bedded, I shall read some more :0)

x J

No comments: