Thursday 24 September 2009

Let us think...

I didn't really *do* much today, but I feel quite happy about this so, you know, whatever.

One thing I have realised is... I am in the writing up stage.

Somehow this has crept up on me. There has been no trumpet sound or official announcement or meeting, it has just occured to me (and by 'just', I mean literally just now) that I am writing up now. I do have my research to 'analyse' but I am not really analysing it, I just need the interviews to be translated so I can see what they say and then write it out into my Indian chapter, and look at how it compares with the political and humanitarian representations of the aid effort. Then I do need to do some analysis but should be a) interesting and b) not really take long. It is not a chore because it is the *last* piece of the jigsaw that is my thesis. I like juggling the pieces, it is when they are all in place and just need to be written up that it is tedious - the actual thinking and pondering and eureka moments (assuming one happens that is) are fun!

I think this is pretty ok really, considering I have a whole year to go. I am bang on target to complete on time I would say... So , for this reason, I can be pleased. I cannot, however, be relaxed. Oh no. Because writing up is a whole new ballgame. It takes a whole new mentality and focus. I needs strict deadlines and targets. It is the hardest part - because it is soooooo boring and long and unrewarding and blaaaaaaaaa.

SO! How are we to tackle this then? Make targets - Beanie's arrival is a big deadline that I am working towards atm. My Sup seems to think that I will have an entire first draft done by then which sounds lovely but isn't true. I will do what I can, tis all I can say.

Chapters:
Intro Do next year. 10,000 words
Lit review Write next year, plan this year? 15,000 words
Methodology Draft One done. 8,000 words
Humanit bit Draft One done. 8,000 words
Political bit Draft one done and being re-done now to include conf paper. 8-10,000 words
Indian bit Write rough draft this year (do in Oct). 8,000 words
Discussion Write rough draft this year (do in Nov). 15,000 words
Conclusion Do next year. 5,000 words

I aim to finish all this year's work for the beg of Dec, am likely to have my final Uni monitoring meeting in Dec when they will want my chaper outline and some plan of writing-up, which I have definitely got all sorted! Will the writing get easier? Hmmm. Is definitely not easy at the mo! But now I have realised I am actually in the writing zone I can be more strict with myself. I have been a bit in denial I think. And focussing on the conference.

Tomorrow then, I shall do a decent timeline and the rejigging of my political chaper so all chapters are as they should be for now. Housekeeping and editing I suppose you would call it. Then on Monday I may have heard from Sup about the conf paper. Anyway, until I do hear, sorting out how it will fit into the chapter will keep me busy next week and then that chapter will actually be done! (For review, but as done as it can be for the forseeable!) Exciting!

I'll give myself until Weds to do that and start Oct anew on a new chapter...

I start my new year on Monday... am not changing my profile until then to say am in the forth and final year. At the mo I take refuge in the fact I am still in the third year and have a complete year still in front of me!!! ;0)

x J

No comments: