Friday 20 June 2008

Friday 20 June

I am here! I was at my desk and organising at 9.35. Good 'un.

Yesterday I made my pie - it was such good fun! I cook all the time and enjoy it but it was really refreshing to cook something new and learn new stuff. Yesterday I learnt how to whip cream (and how to whip it too much - I couldn't spread it over the caramel!); that condensed milk turns into toffee when it is boiled forever; and how to make a biscuit base. And I learnt that you can buy tins of caramel. Brill! The pie looks ace even if I do say so myself, but I am concerned that I haven't put enough cream on the top - I didn't get enough so it is spread over but pretty thinly. Does this matter? I fear that the cream works to mitigate the super sickly sweetness of the rest of it and not having enough will render it unedible. We shall see. Maybe I shall take some extra whipped cream with me in case? Or will just leave it. Having never eaten it before I don't know. Anyway, I really enjoyed it and am now keen to give a dinner party... I want to move the kitchen table into the middle of the room (luckily they are skinny friends so shall be able to squeeze aroud it), have candles, funky music, lots of wine, and envisage placing a pile of steaming hot lovely food in the middle for picky, nibbly starters; then having a main course that was tricky and took me ages. That would be fun! A couple of weeks ago this would not have been fun. How strange. Maybe it's because I am turning thirty next year.

I also learnt some of my new language for TN last night! It looks really interesting. Very complicated but hopefully all wil become more clear. Today I am going to write out and listen to the alphabet and basic sounds. I am also going to read lots of Naomi Klein. Right. I will work until half one and then finish and go to the pool. Why did we arrange jabs for such a stupid time?! Basically means the afternoon is a washout and this is not convenient. I think I shall have to work for some hours tomorrow. Hmmph.

Best get on. Will no doubt clock in later (I am worryingly addicted).

x J

Ps. Speaking of addiction, I got over 80 points on a single scrabulous move yesterday. Oh yes. Read it and weep dear foe.

No comments: