Monday 16 June 2008

Right then!

Righty. Today is Monday, first day back at work since my transfer meeting on 27 May... I got to my desk at around 9.40, which I think is commendable considering I spent most of the holiday geting up at half ten. I have a cup of coffee made by DB and have checked my emails. Well, I checked my work emails on Saturday (addiction, couldn't leave it until today) so just rechecked to no avail. Now I need a plan for today. Today is going to be a slow day, no real demands, more about organising and getting used to sitting at my desk again. It is sunny outside today, which is cockle-warming and I have radio one on. Maybe this won't be so bad...

Today I need to:
1) Write out a list of all the things I need to achieve before going to TN in September. This is...
- set out a timetable to learn the language
- get an up to date guidebook for enthusing about tourist possibilities.
- work out cultural stuff and sort out a preliminary wardrobe (will need practical things like walking shoes and proper sandals etc am sure.)
- work out when going to have a camping break to look forward to (very important)
- Research and write chapter four - NB this is a good draft, not the finished article so just write it; minimise faffing. This needs to be done by... mid July.
- Research and write methodology and theoretical direction. A lot of this is done, but does need to be done carefully because, obviously, this is the template of what to do in TN. This needs to be done by End of September, by which time it will be time to pack.
- Finalise dates going.
- Get a VISA! Oops.
- Get a passport! Double oops.
- Sort out possible ticket prices and email uni to see when I can get hold of any funds to cover this, or whether I have to pay and be reimbursed in October (ouch).
- try not to worry too much or be too scared of going away!

2) Look up books need for tomorrow's trip into uni. Maybe get some Foucault too to brush up analytical skills? This should be cool as contributes to methodology chapter as well.

3) Read through Chapter four have got so far and notes.

I am being a bit silly about going on f/wk (still no proper word for it) and don't know why. I love going abroad and it's not even like I am going on my own! I think maybe it's because I have never had any intention to go where I am researching and so the spark of excitiment isn't there. In fact, I am pretty scared of where I am going; it seems to be the opposite of what I am used to. However, I have only heard good things, it is beautiful, it will be warm and the volunteering should be cool. I did some in C. America for a week and loved it. I was really surprised because I have volunteered in England before but am really too selfish to do it in the worthy, caring way others do; I did it to sort out my CV to get on my MA course... But when I was in C. America it didn't feel at all worthy, just felt like a job. The people running the organisation were really relaxed as well so you didn't feel that you needed to be The Best with minimal (no) experience. I was so worried about walking into a classroom of kids that didn't speak English, and trying to manage them with my minimal Spanish, but actually was placed as an assistant with a fluent spanish speaker. And? The kids were AWFUL! They were sooooooo naughty, even at one stage singing a song at La Maestra when she was trying to teach them colours, but rather than being scared of them I loved it! They had so much energy and it was such a challenge but actually, I never realised how much authority you have simply because of your age. By the end I felt the kids under my control were keen to get my attention and having to behave to get get it which was a huge buzz. I have to keep remembering this when I envisage the three months of teaching that I have signed myself up for in TN... I have a feeling as well that in TN I will have more responsibility than I have had in previous paid jobs. I love responsibility but am naturally lazy so don't necessarily seek it. As I approach 30 though, nearing having a family and, hopefully a PhD, I do want to be more responsible and 'grown-up'... We shall see.

Right! better get on with the day's work!

x J

No comments: