Wednesday 8 October 2008

End of Day. Sort of...

Raaaa, today has gone too fast! Noooo!

I have finished one book and done a whole load of faffing about something. What have I done? I ordered a *lot* from amazon today. Maybe that is where the day went. I got our travel towels and mossie net (woo!) and got DB some books and DVDs for his beeday (he better not start reading this!!). I got those parcels I don't want... I think basically I have been in a work fug because I have been reading this book and am bored of it now. I mean, it is a *great* book but it's always nice to move onto a new, fresh voice. I came out of that book all confused about whether I am into postmodernism after all then started the new one and it has put a whole new light onto it and am most happy. It's called 'After method: mess in social science research'. The happy acceptance of 'mess' pleases me. I am not one to want to categorise people and social activity. I think that would be very hard to do. Lord knows I wish I did get along with it though - believing in postmodern ideas means life gets rather confusing. And some pomos are such arses. I am much more of a pragmatic pomo, aye. I would happily use quant methods too if it was best for my research. I am not a research facist.

My 21 year old half sister has put pics of her trip-of-a-lifetime on facebook for the first time. She left in August so has been gone for... about 6 weeks? She is travelling through southern Africa, doing gorge drops, abseils, sand duning, camping, safaris... Wow, for her that must be like a lifetime but here, life just trundles on! Seems like she just left! I remember when I went travelling for three months and came home a very tanned, very skinny bean and no one had really noticed I had gone!! (Apart from DB who had waited in the airport for four hours for my delayed plane. Wow I couldn't wait to see him... and vowed never to leave him for months at a time again which I haven't. Is too rubbish.) But that was back in the days of early email... and when I had been away at uni for three years so guess it didn't make much difference. And that time I didn't even get much of a goodbye, but this time I am getting a full on family weekend! Oooh!

I suppose I should read some more of this book and then at six I may call it a day. Make some dins. Tomorrow will be a better day. I will work hard in the morning and then go to the gym after 1.30 (to catch the postie) and then get some more paper and come back and sort out my room. What a chore that will be. Will be a weight off my mind once it's done though. I have decided now not to dismantle my desk but to do that next Thursday, and it will herald the end of my work... So next week I have to cram in practical knowledge about how to do interviews and about ethics. Like, data protection for interviews and stuff - how on earth?! I can make up practical stuff. I suppose I ought to sort out something to do with consent too. How strange.

Ah! I am stressing myself out!

x J

No comments: