Thursday 9 October 2008

Sleepy shredder

Today has been a surprising day-of-action!

This morning I learnt my Tamil for about an hour and half... Then I set about reading about pomo ideas of research again and then just thought I should have a squizz at what I had written so far for my Sup (I had decided not to send him anything but thought I should see what 'nothing' was) and ended up editing it, adding to it... and sending it to him. I had a bit of an ontological epiphany which culminated in an idea of 'real experience' but am not sure how that will go down. With he, or a more sober me... Not that I have drunk any alcohol! No, no, i am referring to that period of excitment when a piece of work has been finished and only checked once. I always advocate sending work after having had a cooling off period but don't really have time (seeing as am away first thing tomorrow am) so sent it in the heat of first draft. Oh well. I hope it isn't total tat.

One thing I am starting to realise about going away for 'fieldwork' is...

You are NEVER ready to do fieldwork.

Realising this has made me a lot less stressy. I have soooo much to do, but when there are a gazillion books on methods and ethics and bla bla bla, when wouldn't there be so much to do? Narrative style, concepts of 'voice', how to analyse, how to categorise, how to be reflexive and when, and WHAT! Erg, sooo much. And I have not a clue what notes to take to TN. Or rather, what notes *not* to take. I wish I was going somewhere with a semblance of a library... I have never done research before. I haven't learnt Nvivo, and much to my colleague's horror nor do I intend to. I appreciate it's wonderous categorisation facilities but just don't think I want to mechanise my thoughts and experiences in that manner. I wonder if this is me being a normal pomo researcher, or me being incredibly naive. Well, when I am there and am surrounded by notes and thoughts that don't make sense and I need a program to put it all togtehr and make sense, so shall it be. In the meantime, I am a free spirit! Free spirit!

I shall speak to Sup about this probably.

And so after all this work, I decided to start shredding my office. And seem to have bust the wee shredder. It is rather warm, I just hope that it has overheated for a bit because its DB's and he gets cross when I break his things... :0P

Generally though, today seems to have come together quite well considering the hoo-ha in my mind this morning. Hurrah.

Well, I may get a box or something to put books in while I wait for the shredder to get over itself. Gah, modern technology. If anyone tried to steal my identity anyway from my old bank statements I wish them luck trying to a)withdraw any cash or b)get any credit. No chance sonny-jim.

Tonight I am going to eat stir fry and perhaps make some flapjacks. I have a sweet tooth craving today and DB scoffed all the ice cream last night. Get. I may also start packing up the books downstairs and get rid of the shelves... Or I may just lie down in front of the tele and relish a bit of free time that has a semblence of being relaxing while it still exists... we move out two weeks tomorrow!!! Ironically I just cannot wait. Can't wait! That first beer when we get to town and have checked in to our room and said goodbye to the house (with my cracked cillit bang-hands) and we exist solely as two people and two backpacks... No keys... no nuttin'. Ah. What fun!

Oh, I need to fill in the visa forms tonight... Easy done. I need to remember to take my jewellry to my ma's tomorrow too. Don't want that in storage! (All my bling. Like, one necklace and a silver badge I got for my 18th.)

Tomorrow we need to set off at about half seven (8am in real - or DB - terms) to get to the visa office. Uk, do they not know I am a student! DB better not make me drive. I will wag the completed forms and other visa paraphernalia in his face (including the fact we are going at all) and state my job in this task as well and truly DONE!

x J

No comments: