Thursday 2 October 2008

Working Super Demon

I am unstoppable! And living proof that even a sloth like me can pull my finger out and get work going!

I have been working hard for actual *days* now. I have worked every day for over a week too. Normally three days would do before I would get drunk to a)relax and b)give myself an excuse to take the next day off.

Today though, I am a bastion, yes bastion, of productivity. I was working at nine am, and did two hard hours of Tamil learning and since then I haven't stopped working out my methodology malarky. I now have 2,5000 words of blatherings concerning my research. In it I have included:

* my research questions
* the research's theoretical direction
* why TN is my case-study region
* the background context to the research (unnecessary and time-consuming but the repetition about what the chuff this is all about helps focus my thoughts)
* the theoretical ideas underpinning this particular part of the research (ie. ideas about Tamilnadu and cultural contestation of liberalist West - INGOs - and indigenous 'other').
* Hypothesis
* What I don't know yet but need to bear in mind (i.e. will I go there and find this all speculative rubbish?!)
* Assumptions and biases of the research.
* Research questions (examples of a few, and awareness that I can't know them all till I get there).

Then the next section is 'methods', but first I need to read all that lovely literature I got from the library yesterday about how postmodernist ideas translate into 'real world' research. I shall read these this afternoon, and probably tomorrow. (probably?! Even I, in my current super-work mode cannot read four books in one afternoon!) Then I should have a fairly good outline of what I am going to be up to, to tell my Sup. Ethics and the actual hoo-ha about how to do interviews I don't think he cares much about. More he would like to know my research question that I want to answer when I am there (yes, finally dear reader, I think I know this), my hypotheses, my theoretical direction, and what data I hope to get to analyse upon my return. And maybe an idea of how I am going to to that.

yes, yes, it shall be fine. I may even get a day off this weekend! I don't know though, I am not really in the mood for days off at the mo...

famous last words eh?!

Well. I have reached a natural break and although my heart says 'no' my head is plugging away at me to go to the gym. Damnable conscience.

byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

x J

Ps. Today is a beautiful, calm, cold autumn day. I want to go and buy the giant hats and scarves I have seen in the shops, but alas, a bikini would be better investment. Pros and cons I suppose!?! I have been talking to my ma this morn as well (well, an eamil) about advance chrimbly pressies, seeing as we will be incognito at the time. (I wonder if we will even notice it is christmas?!) Anyway, with the weather being as it is today and talk of christmas I feel soooooo christmassy and yum! I love love LOVE this time of year. I am going to cook a roast dinner this Sunday and eat it snuggled up by my fire.

Ahhhhhhhh. xxx

No comments: