Wednesday 28 December 2011

Kicking PhD Arse

Ahhhh, it is like the old days chez J towers today!

I took bean to the childminders, came home and woooooooorked!  I knew yesterday I had cracked this chapter and have got it all laid out to just *write*.  So by 11am I was tip tapping away.  Then had a nice lunch with Mr J who is off work this week and came back to it and have woooooooooorked all afternoon.  Now have 6,500 words and a gazillion more to write, looks like this chapter will be about 9,000 words.  Much of it is babble and I really need to get some proper theory and stuff in there but the words are getting down, the flow is there, the knowledge is in place and I am kicking this chapter's arse :0)

My brain has stopped working now so I am going to leave it for today.  I have written about 2,000 words today!  Tomorrow I need to write this last section, then write the analysis of it and the conclusion.  THEN I need to go through and edit the wittering and change it to Proper Academicness, with quotes and info from my theory peeps.  Then I have finished!  I reckon I will do the writing tomorrow, the editing on Friday and send it off on Saturday and then get DRUNKKKKKKKK and be happy :0)  Then I shall have some days off with my family until I return on Tuesday for a new chapter.

Sounds alright dunnit?

I watched a silly tv programme last night and the guy on it was all motivational (army boy) and saying things like 'its the lows that make the highs' and 'anything worth having takes a lot of work to get' and i was thinking oooooh, you are so right.  Dunno about the lows making the highs bit yet, but I can imagine that we have to go through the shit to get the prize or it wouldn't be much of a prize would it. 

x J

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the title. It does help to imagine the PhD dissertation as an archenemy that needs to be taken down,absolutely subjugated, and chopped to death into little pieces... This is how much I hate it – even though I am at the very end of it!

Numpty said...

Haha, indeed. It is an enemy! But then again, it is my best friend! I love my thesis, I just hate the deadline ;0) If only I had a nother 6 mopnths to just bumble along and write in my own pace like pre-baby... But then again I know that pressure is a wonderful kick up the bum!
Hope you are ok and seeing that finishing line keeps you pepped up. Remember, not completing in time or handing in shit (it won't be shit, but anyway) won't kill you. You will be ok xx