Thursday 8 December 2011

Quite exciting...

I sorted through all my chapters last night and did a bit of proper filing, backing everything up and making sure I knew which where my proper chapters and which were drafts etc.

All done so I feel a lot better knowing where my work is!  I have realised that I have a *lot* of references that need putting into endnote...  great fun.  BUT I have printed off the chapters that I have 'finished' (for now) and they are in a neat little pile and starting to look a bit like a PhD!  I realised I needed to read through the chapters that lead up to the one I am writing now - I have done three already and if this is to be the last before the discussion then obviously I don't want to be repeating myself with points I made in the others, but need to make sure there is a a thread of a thesis throughout them.  So I have had to print them out and put them in order so I can see them all and read them as if it was one piece of work.  This is exciting!  Such a change from seeing each chapter as an individual piece of work!  It also made me realise that I need to separate my empirical chapters.  I thought I would have them as pt 1 and pt 2, next to each other, but actually think I shall pop a different chapter between the two (which is also an empirical chapter as I have four really, but the other two are discourse analysis rather than from my fieldwork).  I shall have to read through them and see if this will work.  Is a good job I have done this because some of my analysis from this chapter has already been written in an earlier one, and vice versa.

So my task for today is to read these chapters and then carry on writing my latest one in full knowledge of what I have already said. 

I still hope to have this latest chapter written by Saturday.  Then I will need to tighten these chapters so they link together properly and then get on with writing my discussion.

Don't think DB is going to be visiting his Mum with Bean this weekend :0(  I was soooooo looking forward to having three solid days to write.  Guess it will be a muddled weekend of trying to work where I can and feeling guilty for ignoring the family/ hard done by when DB wants some time to work/go to the gym and being all bickery because we are both so tired and stressed.  hurray.

Am completely drained today.  Will power on through though!  I had dreams last night of trying to urge my knackered car up a massively steep hill, knowing if it stopped we would just fall backwards (I don't have a car btw!), then got lost in a maze of a kitchen (?!) and would have got in big trouble if I was found so was all stressed trying to get out.  Funny that!

x J

No comments: