Sunday 11 December 2011

New Motto

to be scrawled all over my walls...

'DON'T GET IT RIGHT, GET IT WRITTEN'

I have been scouring findaphd.com, a site I used to use a lot but only go on about twice a year if that, and found a thread about someone who had to complete in 3 months.  People said it would be possible and that all reading had to be ruthless and practical, that this was not the time to go on tangents or make new brainwaves, that if you are having a bad brain day, then sit and do refs and formatting instead of writing, and don't worry about getting it right, just get it written!  I am so going to follow that.  I am a total twat because I remember now that I wrote on here a couple of days ago that I really have to avoid being all perfectionist at this stage and just get on, and what have I spent today and last night doing?  Being unable to work due to being all perfectionist.  What happens is I tinker with a paragraph for ages, then it is 'just right' and I get the feeling of it being just right and forget that i then have to go back into just-get-it-down-mode.  And I can't write for worrying it isn't good enough. 

Just write!

I am going to 'just write' now, until 5pm.  Then I shall have to have a bath because my breastfed baby is away for three days and i am in a certain (small, but inisistent) amount of pain.  I also fell over yesterday and am very sore!  What a fool!

Feeling more on top of it now.  Really, much better.  Am seriously going to scrawl my new motto onto a piece of paper and put it right in front of me, on the wall.  And maybe in the bathroom to remind myself every time I go to the loo (to hide).  Am still really glad that I have confessed my situation to my Sup though.  I feel I need to share my burden and that's what they are there for, no?

x J
(still not crying)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed, that's what my advisor told me too. I got the dissertation written in less than 2 months and tomorrow is my defense! I am doing my PhD in California.

Numpty said...

YAYAYAYAYYYY! A) congratulations and good luck for the defence! and B) Really, in two months?! I am so pleased to hear that :0) I bet writing up in California is much more pleasing than here in grotty, dark, wintery England! Well done again. And thanks for the post, am really inspired!
x J