Wednesday 29 April 2009

A mixed bag, really

Today has been a strange old day. I did some reading this morning then checked my emails and an offer to write an abstract for a paper for a big ol' conference in August came from my Sup.

Anyone knows that Sup's don't 'offer' but rather couch their demands in such democratic language, so I dutifully wrote off an abstract in about an hour and sent it in! All done! My sup and several other members of staff are also presenting at this conf so I think I will be accepted... Which is great because I may actually get something published!!! In an international journal! But awful because I will have to do a presentation :0(

I hate presenting - eveyone does really don't they. I suppose I will have bean to keep me company, it will only be for an hour and I will work so darned hard to make sure the paper is watertight. It is only an oipnion fter all, and if peeps don't like it that's ok. I am sure my Sup won't let me go with the poorest paper in the world anyway.

Another niggle is will we all go in convoy?! Ug that would be awful, like hanging out with your managers (I know, I do see them as colleagues but, hmm, we don't 'hang out'). This makes me worried. But it is ages away so I shall just chill for now. At least the idea came to me pretty fluently and I should be writing/have written the chapter that the paper would be dealing with by then so will be far more organised. And would have got India out of the way. I may even enjoy it... !!

I have to confess that I had a micro nap for about 10 minutes this afternoon. Other than the reading this morning and the blitz of activity on the paper I have been quite rubbish. Oh I also organised a meeting with a guy who has come back from doing his fieldwork in Columbia, apparently he may be able to offer me some insights on how to go about my work in India...
I had a think and concluded that maybe I am coming down from quite a huge week - finding out I am pregnant, telling DB, my Ma and my Sup and going to docs etc. Now there is nothing pressing for me to do but wait and maybe the general relief is hitting home today. Anyway, my concentration levels are poor and I make no sense.

Tomorrow, I will do LOTS! Fighting fit!

x J

No comments: