Tuesday 21 April 2009

Motivation

Against my long-term judgement of self-help books, I have bought Joan Bolker's book 'Writing your dissertation in 15 minutes a day'. Apparently it is really nice and easy-reading, and helps you get back into work after a break away (perfect!) and gives wee tips and tricks to help a person who cannot think for themselves any more, think.

I really hope it works, and will let you know! Any useful tidbits I shall pop in my 'quote of the mo' slot too!

I have decided that today I shall put down as a holiday day, and tomorrow I shall sit down to work in earnest. Well, kind earnest. I shall make myself sit, without radio, for an hour and then can do something if I want. This way I will get some momentum up with the work; the hardest thing is to stop my compulsion to keep bouncing out of my seat whenever something vaguely pressing enters my consciousness. I must stay put and read! This is what I did last week and I ended up working really, really well!

I have also asked my Sup when he would like to see me next (sometime this week I think) and also put out feelers with a couple of Uni friends that I have not yet seen since coming back from India (I have sen no one yet!). Feeling a bit out of the PhD loop - like I made the whole qualification and work necessary for it up in order to give myelf something to 'do'. Yes, sometimes it really is that alienating!

x J

No comments: