Sunday 12 August 2012

Did 3 Hours Yesterday :)

Yes I did.  I meant to do two but could do three, so did.

Was really, really pleased with myself!  Only added 500 words but did a lot of editing and am really getting to grips with it.  I have dine 8,500 words of it now!  is not far from finished, in its roughest incarnation :)  I will still need to edit etc but having the draft of it written down to play with will be lovely.  I still really hope to have it done by the end of this week... 

Today will be a big day.  My family are out at the mo but I have decided to slob about a bit and did some exercise instead of working.  I have only had one day off a week for the two weeks I have been working properly again, and am very proud of this!  I will work later, but for now decided that seeing as I have a moment when I am not working, watching Bean, cooking, cleaning or whatever I would just SIT by myself and chill!  And I am in a much better mood for it.  I forgot really that I am being stay-at-home mommy all this week too, and it will be very challenging working every day too, so have taken this time to sort of read rubbish and ground myself a bit.  I will work later, after tea when DB is putting Bean to bed.  Whatever happens I will get at least 3 lots of 10 mins done.

It is coming along.  I am not counting any chickens - I can't do that until I have submitted!  And I am not thinking I have it sussed - I have a mantra that I am only as good as my next ten minutes...  but I am trying and it is paying off. 

Hurray!

x J

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jayney, I just found your blog, I'm writing up too and the sentiments expressed in your blog could be my own. It is consoling to know somebody else is in the same boat!

Anonymous said...

Jayney, I signed out of my comment too fast, I've been reading about your ten minute slots.....what a good idea. I'm going to try that too. I'm a part time phd student of 30something. I work full time. Although I don't have a two year old to contend with there are days when i find the whole thing soul destroying and there are sleepless nights when I don't get much done during the day. I live in Ireland and am doing my phd part time with a university in the UK, so it can be very isolating. But I will soldier on and be inspired by your blog. Best of luck.....we will get there! Mimi

Numpty said...

Ah work and a toddler are probably the same (although hopefully your work doesn't get you our of bed two or three times a night?!) I find having a full time toddler and workikng on the PhD exhausting so you have my sympathies! The dedication you need to sit at your desk and do more work when everyone else has their feet up is immense!

And yes it is isolating. I live 3 miles away from uni but now go in about twice a year and only have one friend from the course I see every so often. My Sup has moved 5 hours away! It is the essence of writing up tbough I believe.

Good luck; when are you due to submit?

x J

Anonymous said...

Hi Jayney, I would like to submit end of Jan next, but that would only happen if I won the lotto and didn't have to go to work full time. I have Easter or June in my head now. When are you submitting? Do you get a professional to proof read before you give stuff to your supervisor, I've been thinking that might be an idea to improve the writing....or is that unnecessary. I will keep in touch with your blog as I don't know anybody else who is going through this at the moment. Thanks for your reply. Mimi

Numpty said...

hallo!

I have to submit on 31 Dec... but hope to before that, at the latest 14 dec which is just before my little lad's birthday.

I am thinking about getting a professional to edit my thesis before I submit. My Sup does edit a bit for me but tbh at this stage of the game I have learnt how to write well enough that he doesn't think my writing is 'grotesque' any more. Only problem is prof editing is £1000 at mates rates and is actually fairly tricky as you need to explain to them all the acronyms and right way of spelling any odd words (or new made up words!) they might not know of. So that would be quite time consuming and DULL.

Anyway, is not unusual but I would definitely leave it to the very last minute to get it done so you are not deleting very expensively edited paragraphs in subsequent drafts!

x J