Wednesday 15 August 2012

Struggling! But Here!

Arf I am struggling!  I am soooo sleepy today. 

Toddler had a nightmare while napping so I didn't get to do any work earlier. 

And anyway, I am just NOT IN THE MOOD today.  I don't care if I skive!  I don't care!  But yet I have done ten minutes.  Bean is in the bath with DB.  Hmmm...  I have two more sets of ten mins to do to be back in the game.  I know, I shall do another ten minutes NOW.  Right now, and then come back.  Join me!  Let us do ten minutes!  We can do it!

...........................................................................

Hurrah, I did it :)

Yesterday I only managed one set of ten minutes before the Bean woke from his nap and last night all good intentions were dashed when a glass of gin and tonic was thrust under my nose at 8pm...  :)  I needed to chill out to be honest, I haven't had much down time of late!  hence the tiredness today...  !!

Sooo I have done two of my three sets of ten mins for today.  It isn't much I know, but what it does is it gets me to my desk, to open the document and it is enough time for me to reconnect with the work again and keep that momentum going.  I am not going to finish this chapter by Friday as I hoped, but still hope it will be done by Monday.  I am not too stressy about it though because we have decided to out off moving down South until after the New Year and the PhD is all finished.  Which means I have another two weeks to work on it!  Yaya!  I still want to have this chapter done asap and my methodology chapter done for when we go on holiday in... 4 weeks tomorrow.  So I should have over three weeks on it which I am sure will be enough for a first draft, driven by the motivation of sitting and relaxing under the sun in Italy knowing I only have two chapters left to write from scratch!  Ooooooooh LOVELY.

A friend said I was on the home straight for the PhD now.  I hope so!  I really do!

Last ten minutes before am called on Mum duty...  Man, squeezing in work while looking after the wean is HARD, I have nothing but admiration for any stay-at-home parents looking after weans all day then trying to work in the evenings.  Or a full time job for that matter.  Eek.

x J

3 comments:

Clare said...

Squeezing phd work in while dealing with kids is so hard. I am going to adopt your ten minute burst approach (which is approx the amount of time before I get a knock on the door from a child looking for a snack/hug/play). Only thing keeping me going at this stage is the determination not to be doing this awful hybrid mother/student/writing up thing again next summer. I completely over-estimated what I could get done while kids home on school holidays which is very disheartening...

Numpty said...

I hear you. Is totally disheartening. I haven't worked for two days because doing mum stuff has had to come first (my PhD doesn't whine and cry at me for wont of more attention!). I don't know about you but trying to do both makes me really stresst abd unpleasant to be around :( I hate it.

Good luck for you; feel free to keep coming back for chats or rants when needed!

x J

Clare said...

Thank you Jayney! It is so nice to have a place where somebody else feels the frustration, guilt and stress. I keep telling myself that summer 2013 will be a phd free zone, yay!! Hope you have a lovely weekend.