Friday 26 September 2008

Friday!

Ah lovely Friday. I had an email today to say that we have been allocated a room for at least our first night in TN! Yaya! Looking the establishment up in rough guide and lonely planet is a positive experience, but on tripadvisor nooooooooooooooo. However, I am sure that for every person that gripes on tripadvisor there must around ten who have had a positive experience. and some of them whined about money when it's £6 a night... !!

Ok then Today is a Day of Work! I am going to try and get to grips with postmodern methodology and see what kind of shape my research is going to take... And learn some more language. I don't know why I am so coy about my research. I may as well out myself - I am going to the Tamil Nadu district of India. I never wanted to really say because when I started this blog I wanted to be very 'safe' but now I am sure that no one cares that much and culturally it will be important to explain what is what when I am there! So I am trying to learn Tamil. Arg. There is spoken, colloquial Tamil, and written formal Tamil. Speaking is very different to writing so I have to keep making sure I am learning colloquial not written. Also, no one speaks Tamil in the UK really so no one will teach me. I am doing me best though.

Am so happy to have somewhere to stay! The whole landing on the major day of Diwali thing wasn't the cleverest but I hope to join in on some atmosphere!

We arranged with our agents to be out of the house at 1.30 on the 23 Oct. This means I have one month yesterday. But really, three weeks. If I start getting up an hour earlier every day this will add on a day of work a week. If I work for half a day on the weekend too... and if I work hard... That is a lot of hours. (eek). I had horrible dreams last night that I was being chased and backed into corners all the time. Quite telling methinks.

I can't wait until that Thursday afternoon though. We will have our whole life in storage and just our backpacks, have no housey any more... and go into the city and get a last minute room and go and celebrate our freedom and just be sooooo tired - but momentarily free of responsibility. Ahhhhh. And Friday we can stay in our hotel bed all day and do nothing or go out and buy any currency or any last minute bits and bobs... and then Saturday we go to London for my mate's beeday and my goodbye weekend before flying out on Monday! I can't wait!

I was watching Bruce Parry doing the 'Amazon' show on tv (wow... What a job... What a guy...) and I love how 'honest' he is. I love the way he gets tired of travelling and new places but still loves each place he goes and doesn't want to leave. That is how I feel about big travelling experiences and I find it reassuring that not everyone is gung-ho about exotic travels and that people are apprehensive. I am apprehensive about *everything*

Right. 15 Mins of Tamil, then alllll day of postmodernism vs critical realism. (CR will lose!)

x J

No comments: