Monday 15 September 2008

Tank da Laird

Ahhhhhhh! I think, I think I am getting somewhere and the work is falling into place!! well, for now...

I have been reading muchos and think that focus groups may actually be the way to go. I say 'actually' because I have never considered it! It seems like such a researcher-y thing to do and I prefer more traditional methods like part/obs or interviews. But I have realised that my research has changed a lot since I thought part/obs was the way forward. Now, such a method would be pointless as there is now nothing to observe or participate in... Talk about barking up the wrong tree. Interview-wise, it would take me aaaaages to, bleugh, 'groom' enough people to want to chat to me about their experiences of the aid-effort and I would be uncomfortable chatting to people with the prime motivation of making friends for research. How awful! It would be on my mind. However, doing it in a focus group (or ten groups, I think, I will need to do a few to get a proper impression - not least because of how fragmented the society is...) would get it done pretty quickly, people would feel more confident to chat, and I would be in the minority. Also, I would have a minor role (fundamental I know, as moderator, but participants wouldn't know that) compared to interviewing when I would be a 'White Western Female Interviewer talking about Aid, therefore probably from an NGO so let's toe the line and say the aid-effort was just the nuts'.

I am very pleased with this development. I think I would do them later in my research time, when I have learnt some of the blinkin' language (major, major pitfall...!) and have met some people I could coerce into a group... I will compliment these with individual interviews and with observation (photos? stuff) of the aid-effort (in the form of new communities, schools, health centres etc).

yes, yes it will be good. Continuing this morning's theme, this is not set in stone but is a method that I shall keep in the forefront of my mind to use... I like it though. Even though I am a rather shy person in front of groups, for some reason I feel happier about doing this than asking someone for a 1-2-1 interview. Strange. Well, I suppose the focus won't be on me so much, and I would have spent months volunteering with them/their children so... hopefully it will be cool...

So that's what I have been doing today. I am still super tired and seem to be moving away from using exercise to food to relax, seeing as I am, yet again, craving food I won't make with my fair hands. I did spend the whole weekend making healthy tasty treats, and am off to the gym tomorrow. And I talked DB out of drinking booze. Still though, I should stay away from all the fatty carbs!! PhD, how you make me grow...

Oooh as I wrote that Cannons gym just rang me for my free day out - I have asked for it so I get to use their sauna and steam room.. ahh that would be so nice! I am off on Thursday avo after I have seen my Sup (eek, haven't seen him for MONTHS. Am usually buzzing afterwards with ideas and excitment and, I admit, fear about how much work I have to do). I always wonder how much to bend the truth when I am having the sales pitch at the beginning of these free days at gyms. Obviously I am not looking to join a gym as a) I already have one and b) I am leaving the continent for six months next month... But sweet, sweet sauna and steam-room. I need it, I tell thee.

Weeeeeeeeeell. Suppose I better get my nose back to it for a while, then will run away and try and talk myself into eating normal food and not yummy comfort food... We have blood tests tomorrow am which is annoying and will interrupt the day, but I should get some work in before, am going to the gym straight after, and will work more all avo.

Am so glad I am getting this under control. I really want to enjoy the research experience and my time in TN, not see it as a total horror I want to have over and done with.

Ooh, I would like to say hello to any newbies who may have come through from my shameless touting on the PhD forum earlier. Welcome to my frenetic, unstable and bizarre PhD-world.

I am going to London to see my bezzies this weekend! HURRAAAAAAYYYY!!!!!!!!! (and thank goodness. I need to let off some steam!)

x J

No comments: