Tuesday 30 September 2008

So busy!

I have been so busy! Since I have worked out that Tamil is not my enemy I have started doing an hour-plus a morning, learning grammar and vocab... It makes sense! Tomorrow I am learning verb forms (finally) and am really excited! This morning I looked at an earlier dialogue which used to be total gobbledegook, and today it made a lot of sense! Learning languages is so rewarding I find, like a puzzle. And I love the fact that when you start to 'get it' progress can be quite quick, like learning numbers or weekdays or a verb, which counterbalances the slow, demanding drudgery of a four year PhD... !! (strange sense of 'reward', I suspect a holiday may be more conventional... !)

It is raining and windy today... yay! My favourite weather, especially for working.

Yesterday I worked for hours, until about eight of the even'... I was trying to work out in a few hundred words what my research looks like now. I got quite far but am still not totally sure why I am going to TN yet. I have no idea why this is so elusive to me since I have been planning this trip for two years?!! I think it is just too obvious and I am thinking too hard about it. After brekky and some perusing of the t'internet (valid break, I have been learning Tamil all morning!) I am going to write down all the things I want to know in TN, and hopefully they will link even vaguely to my research questions and start to provide some kind of pathway. I have a load of literature on postmodernism and case studies and ethnomethodologies that I also have to look at, let alone the ethics and how to actually do an interview etc!! So much to doooo! I really hope to have the point of the work in TN nailed down soon and then can concentrate on the practicalities... I have two weeks before I see my Sup to have as much organised as poss - as will be the last time I see him before skipping to India! eek!

There's a job up at uni for tutoring undergraduate first years in 'Introduction to politics'. Ahhh, I would love that job. Alas, I shall be away.

I have more jabs again later. Afterwards I shall go to the gym! And for dinner as a gym reward I am eating tacos with quorn chilli! YUM.

Better check my emails and the newspaper.

later!
x J

No comments: