Tuesday 13 November 2012

Working socks off

I have worked so hard, and am completely shattered!

I am not even halfway through this chapter yet and have had to add about 1500 words of analysis!  There really was no analysis.  Plus the references need to be reformatted and some re-entered which is pretty time consuming. 

Am sick of typing.  I am enjoying the work tho, it is really easy to slip in my analyses and theory as I am getting so used to what I say!  Is pretty repetitive, though not obviously so.  I have a spider diagram on my wall for each theory I use (most people just use one) with all the main points on, and brilliantly (as I don't remember doing this work at ALL) I have written WHO said it and what ref it is , including the page number:)  So I can easily look at my wall and pick a wee point that backs up my personal contention and type it in and have the ref RIGHT THERE.  I also have the notes next to me at all times in case I want a fuller quote but having the book and even the page number makes that quick and easy too.  It is a total and utter lifesaver and somewhere in the ether I am hugging the past me who did this and no doubt throught it was a stupid waste of time :) 

I also have to add concise argument-driven introductions to the sections so I really have to concentrate, absorb what it is I am saying and then regurgitate it in nice little paras.  Oof .  My shoulders are killing from being hunched over too.

I am not going to finish this chapter tonight.  In fact, I am adding so much new text that I wonder if I can split this chapter into two.  I have enough text, I think, to fill two chapters and it would solve the issue of where I want to put the lit review text :)  This would be a nice, neat solution.  Time consuming tho... but if I am doing the work anyway...

I think I will have to do a couple of hours of work tonight, and i still probably won't get this finished before tomorrow.  This is ok, as long as a) DB takes friday off or b) I can work over the weekend.  TBH I can't work any faster!  I even ate lunch at my desk, I haven't left.

I actually think if I am going to work later (and i will work tomorrow and tomorrow night too) I might take a break for a bit.  Back is killing and my brain is slowing down!

Am getting there though, and it is very satisfying cleaning this chapter up and makng it all PhD sparkly!

x J

No comments: